Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Ok, I have a question! When they say to breed black and splash to result in all blues, are they meaning a black laced or can you breed a black wyandotte to a splash BLR and get a blue BLR? I guess I'm confused on whether or not both the roo and hen have to be laced or if you can breed a solid black to a splash and what the pros and cons are? Thanks for any help! :)

that is in reference to laced X laced, not
unlaced x laced. if you create that cross, you will have broken incomplete lacing.

This is my biggest too, Dunce. I really wish his comb was better because his size and color are better than my other roos.
Is that comb ok or would it be a DQ/point reducer?

You have to breed a Black Laced BLRW to a Splash BLRW to get Blue or you can breed Blue to Blue and get Black,Splash or Blue but they have to be laced either way but not meaning to breed a Gold Laced Wyandotte as even though they are black laced, their color is gold not mahogany which is what a BLRW should display. It is very confusing, but I've read to breed blue to blue to keep the blue nice as breeding splash to black dilutes the blue which is not good in time. JMHO
Thank you very much for the info! This is good to know! Of course I think out of 3 chicks I have 2 that might be black laced, was thinking of keeping them but maybe I shouldn't. I also hatched blue, black and splash from blue wyandotte eggs. Guess I will just let them grow and see what to do. I planned on keeping my blue laced reds and have a blue laced roo. I believe I have another blue laced roo, a black laced roo and black laced pullet but so had to tell. I will try to take some pictures one day and see what everyone thinks :)

This is my biggest too, Dunce. I really wish his comb was better because his size and color are better than my other roos.
Is that comb ok or would it be a DQ/point reducer?
I think that his comb looks too coarse... it also looks like there is at least 1 spike/leader in the front poking off the comb? also the leader off the back should follow the shape of his head, but it sticks more upward.. I also notice his wing is pointing down really really low, it should be horizontal

from the wyandotte SOP book:
(free: https://openlibrary.org/books/OL23362546M/The_Wyandotte_standard_and_breed_book)

Ideal Comb -

showing various comb defects -

extra leaders are just points off, not DQ
I believe too-coarse would also be 1 point off, not DQ
the point deductions are also in the SOP book :)
hope this helps!

Correct wyandotte body type - note wing angle:

anecdotally Soltaria...
to me, his comb looks like he was crossed with a single comb fairly recently. I have crossed rose combs with single combs and they come out looking just like his... I am still learning though, just something I thought of :)

His type is a little better than it looks in his picture, it was 105 out so he was wilting a bit and he crowed immediately after I took the shot. He looks more like this one below in body shape but with a higher tail. This guy has the same heat induced wing droop. I'll need to get some good shots once the weather cools down but that won't likely be for another couple months.

Interesting, I didn't know that about crossing to a straight comb. He was hatchery stock so I don't know his pedigree and he is the only one with a comb point off the back like this, that's why I call him Dunce since it looks like a little dunce hat. Thanks for the comb info. If it were a case of crossing with a single comb do you think it would be correctable through breeding or should I just segregate him to my yard flock?

ETA: He has a couple leaders off the front and it is incredibly bumpy, almost like a coral.

Last edited:
His type is a little better than it looks in his picture, it was 105 out so he was wilting a bit and he crowed immediately after I took the shot. He looks more like this one below in body shape but with a higher tail. This guy has the same heat induced wing droop. I'll need to get some good shots once the weather cools down but that won't likely be for another couple months.

Interesting, I didn't know that about crossing to a straight comb. He was hatchery stock so I don't know his pedigree and he is the only one with a comb point off the back like this, that's why I call him Dunce since it looks like a little dunce hat. Thanks for the comb info. If it were a case of crossing with a single comb do you think it would be correctable through breeding or should I just segregate him to my yard flock?

ETA: He has a couple leaders off the front and it is incredibly bumpy, almost like a coral.

2nd guy's comb looks a lot better imho, can't see type from that angle though

I think anything is correctable through breeding, it just takes time and dedication. everyone has to start somewhere, identifying the problems is the first step to correcting them. On page 55&56 of the wyandotte SOP book it talks about how to pair birds to breed against a fault to offset a defect. for example, you could pair a hen with a completely smooth comb to a very coarse comb, and then select the best combs from from the chicks they produce. in single combs, you could pair a 6-pointed comb with a 4-pointed comb to get the desired 5-pointed single comb.

Oops, I hit the submit button on the touchscreen by mistake before I finished the post. This is my black BLRW. His hackles aren't actually gold like that but the flash made the color come out weird in the picture. You can see his color best in the top view.

How is he in type and color? He is about 5 months old. I'm hoping to breed him (Boss-Man) to PJ if his color is dark or red enough.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom