Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

I will get some more pictures of these 3...that is exactly why I wanted to get peoples thoughts...something seems not right to me, but then again, Ive never had blue or black BLRW and so I wasnt sure what to expect. #2 does seem to have more of a silver lacing and the other two who knows. The guy I bought them from said they all came from his Blue BLRW Roo and a blue and splash hen. I saw the 3 of them and they were true. Could he have had other wyandottes on the property somewhere...perhaps.

I will try to get some more pictures.

thanks for your help so far. I guess I just need to be patient and let them grow out more. I was hoping by 6ish weeks I would have a good idea FOR SURE as to what I had.
It could have been a cross with anything, not a wyandotte. Rose comb is dominate so that will express if they just have one copy.

It's the silver laced crossed with the blue red laced that makes the blue laced color variations of splash, black and so on MarshallPrime... Looked it up after being called out. I knew I read the info somewhere when researching the breed.

I also found this:

My point was that maybe they got confused, which seems to be the norm where blue laced are concerned. Guess what I was sold is wrong too as DMRippy reports. I did get a proper Blue Laced Red breeding pair from McMurray last fall but adding to the breeding pair has been a big fail where my local sources are concerned.

Last edited:
There is no crossing to Silver Laced. At least there should not be. Blue does not breed true. When breeding blue to blue you will get three variations. This goes for any blue. Wether it is laced or not.
Blue /black/splash.
Google a color chart. You will get all the answers you need.
Please do not breed gold laced in. This will ruin your chances of creating a good red color in your birds.

There is no crossing to Silver Laced. At least there should not be. Blue does not breed true. When breeding blue to blue you will get three variations. This goes for any blue. Wether it is laced or not.
Blue /black/splash.
Google a color chart. You will get all the answers you need.
Please do not breed gold laced in. This will ruin your chances of creating a good red color in your birds.

So you wouldn't add silver laced to the your true BRLW breeding pen then? You would just breed the blue to blue?

So you wouldn't add silver laced to the your true BRLW breeding pen then? You would just breed the blue to blue?  

That is correct , I would not add Silver Laced Wyandotte :)
I did however add a black laced BLRW roo from Peakybeaky to one of my pens this year. To hopefully better our color. The chicks were hatched late January. Fingers crossed they turn out nice!

Last edited:

What do you guys think of the grow outs so far?

Those look good to me, pictures are a little blurry on my end but good lacing and color.

I have been trying to get a good BLUE BLRW roo to mate with my 2 nice splash hens and hopefully I have that with my 1st picture i put up last night. The others, who knows right now what they are. I have had the bad luck of A LOT of splash chicks. Had trouble getting blues and blacks for whatever reason.

Hoping i get one black and one blue out of the mess of others (to go with the obvious Roo that SHOULD be blue)

Here's a pic of my 6 week olds. They are growing so fast and look like they will have a nice feather pattern I think. I'm still holding out hope for one to be a pullet!

And these are my 1 week olds. Mostly splash here, but I knew that before I bought.

Both of these lines came from local breeders, but started with Foley's in the beginning. Years ago from my understanding. I'd like to breed the two lines together next year and see how they turn out. Just for fun.

BLRW should be bred to BLRW to produce BLRW. It is recommended that you don't cross silvers to golds to BLRW as you will be set back years trying to get the correct color. There are articles that state an andulsian blue was bred to the Wyandotte to get the blue color.

Within BLRW, there is Splash, Blue and Black Variety. There is a chart showing the breeding combinations that is very helpful. Give your little guys some more time and you will see what you will get.

The black looks a bit different than other BLRW chick pics I've seen, but you will find out in a few weeks. Keep us posted and best of luck.

Where is everyone getting their chicks from? I'm buying from breeders directly and it's a bit more costly, but the quality is definitely better than the hatchery chicks.

Last edited:
BLRW should be bred to BLRW to produce BLRW. It is recommended that you don't cross silvers to golds to BLRW as you will be set back years trying to get the correct color. There are articles that state an andulsian blue was bred to the Wyandotte to get the blue color. 

Within BLRW, there is Splash, Blue and Black Variety. There is a chart showing the breeding combinations that is very helpful. Give your little guys some more time and you will see what you will get.

The black looks a bit different than other BLRW chick pics I've seen, but you will find out in a few weeks. Keep us posted and best of luck. 

Where is everyone getting their chicks from? I'm buying from breeders directly and it's a bit more costly, but the quality is definitely better than the hatchery chicks. 

Back
Top Bottom