Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

posted some before. Will toss some up this weekend. Trying to get some blue and black to maybe breed next spring. Our current Roo is starting to show that he will either be a lighter blue or darker splash. But,we are only going to breed English Jubilee on our property and any others will be at a friend's country place. We are allowed roosters in city limits but want only one or two to generally keep the peace and prevent crowing contests between Alphas in different flocks. We also have a mixed hen pen because we like differet breeds. Buff, SLW, GLW, English Blue, BR, and a Splash and/or Blue will be in there. Currently we are reestablishing our flicks after moving and selling previous birds. We thought we woukd hold off on birds again until our final move in a few years but couldn't wait. We missed them

How fun! I have a mixed breed flock of egg layers, too. I put my backup BLRW males in with them (there are close to 20 hens in that flock). I have a separate pen for my BLRW breeders during breeding season. When that's over, they will reintegrate :)

I understand only being able to do one breed at a time. We have the barn space for the main flock, the breeder flock, and two grow out pens for two age groups of chicks. To do another breed I would need to multiply all those pens! It gets big, fast! I was trying to breed Salmon Faverolles and Mottled Javas too but I decided to scale back and focus on just this one breed that I really adore and do it with my full attention. :)

It is difficult to pick just one. That's where a buddy comes in. We set him up and he provides hatching eggs from great stock BLRWs. We do the Jubilees and will mix them as juveniles in the grow out pen and seperate before they come of age. We can pick a favorite hen for us and sell the rest.

We are new chicken people. On Monday, we got this 7-month-old pair of BLRW (together since birth) and the other hen, mostly Red Sex Link with a touch of blue, little over a year old. We also got this cute coop. SO loving them. We got one larger white egg and have had a smaller light to medium brown egg every day since. We don't know who's laying, or if only one is. The BLRW pair are Leonard and Penny. The other hen is Bernadette. Happy to be part of this group and looking forward to learning a lot!
love.gif

We are new chicken people. On Monday, we got this 7-month-old pair of BLRW (together since birth) and the other hen, mostly Red Sex Link with a touch of blue, little over a year old. We also got this cute coop. SO loving them. We got one larger white egg and have had a smaller light to medium brown egg every day since. We don't know who's laying, or if only one is. The BLRW pair are Leonard and Penny. The other hen is Bernadette. Happy to be part of this group and looking forward to learning a lot!
love.gif

Welcome to BYC. Nice looking birds and coop!

We are new chicken people.  On Monday, we got this 7-month-old pair of BLRW (together since birth) and the other hen, mostly Red Sex Link with a touch of blue, little over a year old.  We also got this cute coop.  SO loving them.  We got one larger white egg and have had a smaller light to medium brown egg every day since.  We don't know who's laying, or if only one is.  The BLRW pair are Leonard and Penny.  The other hen is Bernadette.  Happy to be part of this group and looking forward to learning a lot! :love

Cute coop! I think the red hen is probably a brown leghorn mix and most likely your white egg layer. The Wyandotte is likely laying the smaller light brown eggs.

Thanks all! Yesterday was our first day with no eggs... :( Hoping they're okay. Our female Wyandotte is still snubbing and chasing our other hen. The Wyandotte pair (7 months old) has been together since birth, and Bernadette (the mix) is a little over a year. They seem to get on fine except at feeding time. At feeding, Penny (Wyandotte hen) wants to chase Bernadette (mixed hen) away. She's greedy. Hoping that will subside. Today is their 6th day of coexisting, so I guess it's still early. We may let them out in the yard today. :)

Can anyone tell me Roo or Pullet? These little BLRW about four weeks old. Thank you in advance!

Back
Top Bottom