Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Need some help with chick ID!
1f414.png
These are two chicks I bought
from a Breeder on Saturday as sexed Blue Laced Red Wyandotte females. The one (darker) looks like a splash, but not sure on the lighter one.... Or is the darker one a blue & the lighter one a splash? Also, the legs appear to be two different colors... is this normal between the black, blue, & splashes? Thanks for any input!!

What would you get if you breed a blrw roo over a glw/sexlink mixed hen looks like a glw though
Because I have a few chicks and some are blue laced some are golden laced

A mess. LOL Sorry, if you are working with a cross, especially one with more than one breed in one parent, then you get all sorts of outcomes. Sex link means to breeds went into the making of that one, then add the GLW, which is a different breed and altogether different body type. You might get a nice variety of good layers though. Are you sure you have GLWs or just Black Laced BLRs with poor base color? Some BLRW lines have more orangey coloring and not the rich, dark red that they should have and look like they may be GLW.

Need some help with chick ID!
1f414.png
These are two chicks I bought
from a Breeder on Saturday as sexed Blue Laced Red Wyandotte females. The one (darker) looks like a splash, but not sure on the lighter one.... Or is the darker one a blue & the lighter one a splash? Also, the legs appear to be two different colors... is this normal between the black, blue, & splashes? Thanks for any input!!

That lighter one appears to be a Lavender something. The leg color is not right for any color of the BLRW variety. Even if it were a Splash LRW, it would have some red showing and some patterning in the fluff color. The darker one appears to be a Black Laced.

@chelsiemom there is another reason to use Splash in breeding BLRWs. The Blue color will vary in it's tone. Using Blue on Blue too much with any breed of Blue can produce leakage (yellowing/brassiness showing through in on shoulders and saddle) By using all three of the the colors produced by Blue, you can try to keep the color balanced to a medium Blue rather than a washed out Blue or a very dark almost charcoal blue color in the lacing. This is true of any breed you might breed with Blue (Orpingtons, Ameraucana, Rocks, Cochins, etc.)

That lighter one appears to be a Lavender something. The leg color is not right for any color of the BLRW variety. Even if it were a Splash LRW, it would have some red showing and some patterning in the fluff color. The darker one appears to be a Black Laced.

@chelsiemom there is another reason to use Splash in breeding BLRWs. The Blue color will vary in it's tone. Using Blue on Blue too much with any breed of Blue can produce leakage (yellowing/brassiness showing through in on shoulders and saddle) By using all three of the the colors produced by Blue, you can try to keep the color balanced to a medium Blue rather than a washed out Blue or a very dark almost charcoal blue color in the lacing. This is true of any breed you might breed with Blue (Orpingtons, Ameraucana, Rocks, Cochins, etc.)

A mess.  LOL  Sorry, if you are working with a cross, especially one with more than one breed in one parent, then you get all sorts of outcomes.  Sex link means to breeds went into the making of that one, then add the GLW, which is a different breed and altogether different body type.  You might get a nice variety of good layers though.  Are you sure you have GLWs or just Black Laced BLRs with poor base color?  Some BLRW lines have more orangey coloring and not the rich, dark red that they should have and look like they may be GLW.  

There actually turning out lovely
Heres my roo

Heres my chicks

Just clarifying.....So the "black, blue,splash" you are referring to that you had, were they BLRW bred also & you are say that is how they turned out due to an inbred trait, or you had some that looked like that from a different breed? Just starting to learn the genetics! Thanks!

Been playing with the idea of getting some chicks from my wyandottes, I would love read what you think of Jessica

She is a very nice Blue Laced.

It is hard to tell from one picture.

If I had to critique her from just one pic, she looks a little more burnt orange than mahogany. I know lighting can change that.

Also, maybe a little bit of a long back...cant tell the tail in the pic.

Overall nice hen, mate her with a darker mahogany blue roo and you could be in business. You would get 50% blue chicks and 25% black and 25% splash.

Nice Bird.

My biggest trouble mating them is really the burnt orange color instead of Mahogany as well. And that is when I actually get blue chicks...I get so many splash it is ridiculous.

thank you very much
I have two splash hens as well and a pretty dark mahogany blue male. I will post a pics soon
the 25% black will still be blue laced? can you share an image of that color.

Back
Top Bottom