Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

thank you very much
I have two splash hens as well and a pretty dark mahogany blue male. I will post a pics soon
the 25% black will still be blue laced? can you share an image of that color.
Go back one page to page 813 and at the top there are pics and info about how the black variety. They will be black laced red but will still carry the blue gene. If they are crossed with splash then you will get 100% blue chicks.

Go back one page to page 813 and at the top there are pics and info about how the black variety.  They will be black laced red but will still carry the blue gene.  If they are crossed with splash then you will get 100% blue chicks. 

Actually the black laced don't have a copy of the blue gene but the splash have two. The blue gene lightens black to blue and the splash birds have a double dose. Every cell in a chicken has paired chromosomes. Those cells split to make haploid cells for both eggs and sperm. So, when a black laced bird makes an egg or sperm cell each haploid cell has zero copies of the blue gene. Splash birds have a copy on each pair so that when they split each haploid cell gets a copy. When you cross black to splash every fertilized cell gets just one blue gene from the splash parent and you get 100% blue chicks. Black to black is always 100% black (no blue gene) and splash to splash always gives you splash (always a blue gene from each parent). Blue to blue makes it so that each parent has 50% of eggs and sperm with one copy and 50% with zero copies. So, 50% get one copy from one parent and zero from the other, 25% will get zero (black) and 25% will get one copy from each parent (splash).

Actually the black laced don't have a copy of the blue gene but the splash have two. The blue gene lightens black to blue and the splash birds have a double dose. Every cell in a chicken has paired chromosomes. Those cells split to make haploid cells for both eggs and sperm. So, when a black laced bird makes an egg or sperm cell each haploid cell has zero copies of the blue gene. Splash birds have a copy on each pair so that when they split each haploid cell gets a copy. When you cross black to splash every fertilized cell gets just one blue gene from the splash parent and you get 100% blue chicks. Black to black is always 100% black (no blue gene) and splash to splash always gives you splash (always a blue gene from each parent). Blue to blue makes it so that each parent has 50% of eggs and sperm with one copy and 50% with zero copies. So, 50% get one copy from one parent and zero from the other, 25% will get zero (black) and 25% will get one copy from each parent (splash).
My apologies, that is correct. You did an eggcellent job explaining it.

I was correct that black and splash will give you 100% blue but you really eggsplained it well. :)

Black and black will only give Black chicks because they have no blue genes just as splash and splash will give 100% splash chicks.

Great description , genetics are difficult to get your head around, but you managed to simplify it.

Hi! Anyone know how long before I can tell my Wyandotte chicks apart? I just got 12 chicks in 3 different colors and while the black/white ones are easy I'm not really sure which are gold/black and blue/red. New to this and my kids are eager to start naming lol. They are a week old. The nosey one in photo is an Easter egger that loves attention. Can take pictures of the others.

You might have a very hard time telling the "black" version of the BLRW from your Gold Laced ones even when older....here is one of my black Blue Laced Red Wyandotte hens. I also had some Red Laced but cannot seem to locate any pics. They did have a lot more red on them so that might be the difference. Her black was glossy and very dark, while theirs was "faded" grayish black. Could have just been those birds though. I only had the one batch so I am not positive. Anyone?

She threw some really pretty dark blue chicks when bred to my blue BLRW rooster.

You might have a very hard time telling the "black" version of the BLRW from your Gold Laced ones even when older....here is one of my black Blue Laced Red Wyandotte hens. I also had some Red Laced but cannot seem to locate any pics. They did have a lot more red on them so that might be the difference. Her black was glossy and very dark, while theirs was "faded" grayish black. Could have just been those birds though. I only had the one batch so I am not positive. Anyone? She threw some really pretty dark blue chicks when bred to my blue BLRW rooster.
Thanks! Beautiful birds! When I checked them out today I found one with the light blue on the new feathers! We got 6 BLR and one of them is a male. Hopefully he's a blue or splash. From what I've read it'll be awhile before I can figure out which one he is. I love all of the different Wyandottes so whatever we end up with will be great but my fingers are definitely crossed for the male.

Back
Top Bottom