Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

I can see a difference in the black lacing between some of the chicks. Some are a dark grey and some are black. Not sure if it is the different colors or just the different chicks. I think they're probably sick of me looking at their wings lol.

Got some new pics of my boy today!! I'm really pleased with how he's turning out. He's HUGE!! I do wish his red was just a little darker, but he's definitely not what I would call "orange". Here's Piper:

Anyone care to give me a critique on my guy? He's 6 months old.

Got some new pics of my boy today!! I'm really pleased with how he's turning out. He's HUGE!! I do wish his red was just a little darker, but he's definitely not what I would call "orange". Here's Piper:

I think he's quite a handsome boy! But I'm pretty lay-person

I really like this boy compared to some of the other males posted on this thread. He has good color in both his base feather color and lacing color. Could be darker but lets not be picky, may change as he ages too. His type looks pretty good, I wish his back was shorter but I do like his tail angle and body shape and depth. He should fill in more in the breast as he ages. He holds his wings up nice and high. I dislike his head and comb though, but thats just me. All in all, a good bird, heck of a lot better than most posted on here, if thats your best bet I would breed him.

Thanks so much, @waddles99 !! I'm still new to this breed and variety, so I really appreciate any advice and opinions I can get. What is it about his head and comb you don't like? All I know to look for is general body type, coloring and lacing. I'd love to learn more about what to look for in my birds since I do plan on breeding this fella. Thanks again!

Thanks so much, @waddles99 !! I'm still new to this breed and variety, so I really appreciate any advice and opinions I can get. What is it about his head and comb you don't like? All I know to look for is general body type, coloring and lacing. I'd love to learn more about what to look for in my birds since I do plan on breeding this fella. Thanks again!
In a perfect world, a wyandotte head should be round and thick. This guy has a very shallow skull depth, causing the head to look long and thin. His beak also is a bit on a long side, adding to this head shape commonly known as "crow head". Its very common and not anything to be ashamed of as it is very common, some of the best breeders have very good birds with this head shape. Here is an ideal wyandotte head shape:

This is a female, but nonetheless still shows good head structure. See how the head is much more round and circle shaped? Which doesn't give it an appearance of being long and narrow. Also, the beak is nice and short and helps the head not appear too elongated.

On to the comb, combs are really difficult to be picky with since they are really last priority to be breeding for good combs. It is hard to get a good comb so you really cant be picky. This guy looks like his comb has a big crease in the front, which is ok, but ideally should not be there. But again it is really hard to be picky.

So here is a question. If you were going to show your BLRW at a show, such a county fair or wherever, and you have 2 hens and one is a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte and the other is a SPLASH Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, how do you register them?

1 would clearly be registered as a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte-she is the blue laced variety

the other, would she be:

Splash Laced Red Wyandotte
OR
Splash Blue Laced Red Wyandotte

??

thanks

So here is a question. If you were going to show your BLRW at a show, such a county fair or wherever, and you have 2 hens and one is a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte and the other is a SPLASH Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, how do you register them?

1 would clearly be registered as a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte-she is the blue laced variety

the other, would she be:

Splash Laced Red Wyandotte
OR
Splash Blue Laced Red Wyandotte

??

thanks

Well, first off, in case you didn't know, they are not a recognized variety, so you cannot get more than a BV with a BLRW. But, you can still technically show them.

There is no such thing as a splash blue laced red wyandotte. It is just a splash laced red wyandotte. Think of ameraucana. They have BBS genetics. Do people say SPLASH blue ameraucana? No. They say splash ameraucana or blue ameraucana.

So, to answer your question, she would be Splash Laced Red Wyandotte, its own variety separate from BLRW.

Pics of my little splash BLRW. They are about 10 months now. Still torn between my two roos, so I am keeping both for now
roll.png
Any input is welcome. One has lots of red, and one almost none.

Back
Top Bottom