Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Single combs are occasionally a byproduct of breeding BLRW. Every once in a while one shows up. I know a good breeder who says 5-10% of their hatchings from BLRW are single comb. But yes, as the person above me mentioned, wyandottes need to have rose combs and technically if it has such a largely different factor such as a single comb it is not technically a wyandotte. 

How is it that a single can even pop up....if rose dominates single comb?

How is it that a single can even pop up....if rose dominates single comb?

The single comb is a recessive gene that hides in many BLRW's. If you bred two birds together that carry a single copy of the single comb gene, 25% of their offspring will have the single comb. I have a beautiful hen that has a single comb. Does that single comb mean that she is not a BLRW? No, I just can show her. Some breeders automatically cull the single comb chicks, I do not. I wait and see what they turn into. Why cull a beautiful girl if you are not going to show her, but just use her as a breeder. I do not however keep single comb roosters.

I just got three of these they are all different. Do they get darker as they age? Or does the lacing come out more
I think this may be a too, it is stout and heaveyer than the other two and has less fewer feathers in

Back
Top Bottom