Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

I think maybe I wasn't clear then. I crossed the Rose straight F0 roo to a pea comb f0 hen. I then crossed that offspring F1 back to the f0 roo to confirm straight recessive. The offspring of the F0 roo and F1 hen had some straight combs. Is this not how you confirm recessives?

PXL_20211121_161153315.jpg

This is the chance of the two black laced red roos that I have being homozygous from my two hens. 50% from one mother. It would be only 25% from the other, but since neither have the pure straight comb that can be eliminated as a percentage chance, leaving 33 percent chance of homozygous and 66 percent hetrozygus. The average chance of hetrozygus between both mothers is 50% + 33% /2 which is roughly 42 percent.

I'm not planning on taking anything away from the wyandotte, simply adding. I do not want the straight comb, I'm trying to eliminate it. The bearded muff straight chick would pass the straight comb to all her offspring resulting all recessive straights or homo straights. She would be a poor addition to the breeding program. Her mother however is 50% wyandotte and carries a walnut comb and could potentially make homozygous rose with beards muffs and lacing.

I know they will be mutts, but that is pretty much how most breeds were developed, including the blue laced reds.

The olive eggers wouldn't be dark olives. Assuming homozygous blue, blue plus brown of any shade should equal green of varying shades. But for what it's worth, I do have a marans hen and laced Easter egger that I'm attempting to cross. The broodies we're just surrogate moms for my other breedings. This girl is an F1 that I kept because she displayed nice lacing.

PXL_20210819_154300780.jpg

This is a cull cockerer with incorrect leg colors, but displaying the mahogany and comb nicely.
PXL_20210829_203915543.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, I didn't read through all 852 pages. But I have heard they are great chickens. Do they lay good? And do they like the cold?

I know there isn't an established blue laced red wyandotte standard.
How have BLRW not been accepted into the APA yet? They've been in the states for years and years. I can't believe they haven't been entered in enough shows and a breed SOP set up for them. Especially with the work that Foley and others put into them.

Attachments

• 2E64B1CA-92D0-4EE8-8608-FAFF17E2CEBC.jpeg
    2E64B1CA-92D0-4EE8-8608-FAFF17E2CEBC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 371DA532-BA30-4B77-886F-FE524703C02B.jpeg
    371DA532-BA30-4B77-886F-FE524703C02B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
F546401F-0A7E-445F-9FAD-2C9426D2BEBA.jpeg
5C7DE56C-B1C2-45A9-9B02-73F06845D680.jpeg

I’m trying to learn what to look for in chickens in general, but especially with the breeds I have. I know they are too young to know for sure (5 months old) but if I let this pair mature and breed them would the offspring be decent quality? What are the weaknesses of these birds so far? I’m not trying to win any competition or anything. Just trying to learn and improve what I have. @Egghead_Jr @ColtHandorf

Are these your only two?

If you work on a shorter back the tail should lift. Obviously we all want to hatch and find lightning in a bottle- a bird that nearly conforms to the Standard. The reality of it is you need to keep everything in mind, not take a step back in other areas, and choose one thing to improve Could take one year or more to get that one thing where you want it then choose something else.

What I see is your birds have a medium length back and you want that shorter. So hatch a lot of birds. Then hatch some more. Keep lacing, comb, and legs on your mind when culling then find the birds with the shortest backs with what is left. Or even a bird with excellent type but happens to have pale legs might be worth a try. Have a few breeder selections and hatch out a lot of chicks the next year from each.

Build the barn (body type) then work on painting it by getting deeper yellow legs the next year or less stripping of the red lace or darker red. You have to keep it all in mind every time but find one thing to really push forward each year. I recommend you start with shorter back (wide back) and more tail lift.

Hey, I didn't read through all 852 pages. But I have heard they are great chickens. Do they lay good? And do they like the cold?
Wyandotte are great for the cold. The breeder stock take forever and a day to start laying. I don't use lighting in winter so don't see first eggs until Spring. I'm told they take around 36 weeks.

Are these your only two?

If you work on a shorter back the tail should lift. Obviously we all want to hatch and find lightning in a bottle- a bird that nearly conforms to the Standard. The reality of it is you need to keep everything in mind, not take a step back in other areas, and choose one thing to improve Could take one year or more to get that one thing where you want it then choose something else.

What I see is your birds have a medium length back and you want that shorter. So hatch a lot of birds. Then hatch some more. Keep lacing, comb, and legs on your mind when culling then find the birds with the shortest backs with what is left. Or even a bird with excellent type but happens to have pale legs might be worth a try. Have a few breeder selections and hatch out a lot of chicks the next year from each.

Build the barn (body type) then work on painting it by getting deeper yellow legs the next year or less stripping of the red lace or darker red. You have to keep it all in mind every time but find one thing to really push forward each year. I recommend you start with shorter back and more tail lift.
Thanks! I have a couple more. I think this splash one has a little better type maybe? But I read it’s not great to breed splashes. I will definitely keep an eye out for a shorter back
DEC592B0-7F41-4E80-B0EF-9287083006F8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom