Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Gladys is growing up so fast
90F046A0-EC96-40C1-AE9F-BCB50A449D28.jpeg

Here is my girl angel cakes, with beauty in front of her, and savage next to her.
20220323_105700.jpg

Here she is with beauty behind her and savage closest to me.

20220323_105732.jpg

This is just me holding angel cakes.
20220323_105839.jpg
20220323_105845.jpg

My birds are finally coming into lay! I'd put clean hay in the nesting boxes a few weeks ago and they tore it all out to eat seed. Checked today and had five dirty eggs in coop, fed them back to the girls and put fresh hay in the boxes.

I'll pen up the breeders this weekend and plan on setting eggs this Easter instead of hatching.

DSCN1778.JPG

This year's breeder. He has two legs. Unfortunately he also has two minor comb sprigs. And of course I'd like the yellow legs to not wash out as they age. Other than that- I like him!

Need tail lift in the flock and he's got that. He's also got nice bumps on the rose comb. His sire was completely smooth. Of the final two choices for this year both had a sprig, one was smooth comb with lower tail. The sprigs have been tamed a lot from the past two years selections but didn't get enough males on the ground to be sprig free this year and found the sire was only carrying one mahogany gene so he had to go.

To make an Easter setting date I'll have genetics from both in the mix. He's not the flock master and will be penned up with the chosen breeder hens this weekend. Second hatch and beyond will be all his. I'm excited to get the tails up and bring in more curves. Plan on putting a lot on the ground this spring and culling hard for sprigs and leg color for next years breeders.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom