Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Pics
they are gorgeous. Mine aren't laying at all.....and they are six months old. But i believe that a few are at POL thankfully. I will be selling chicks and eggs this Spring,

IMG_1693.png

young roo named lazy boy. he is one of my lap chickens and a big ol' baby

Last edited:
Question for you all:

What is Francesca (6 months old)? I purchased her at 8 weeks old ( from a friend who hatched them) and was told she was Blue Laced Red ...she came from a breeder. ( all her siblings were this color as well) I wrote to the breeder about her and was told that it takes 7 molts before becoming "blue laced"?? All the photos I saw on the breeders site were all the Blue LRW coloring. Is she Blue Laced or Black Laced compared to Gretchen? Just want to call her the right coloring. Thanks for your knowledge in advance.

She just squatted this week and I am excited to get her first egg.

66234_img_4710.jpg

Gretchen ( 14 months old) is from a hatchery and is Gold Laced.

66234_img_9158.jpg

Quote:
Mamma Hen, it is totally not true that it takes that time to become blue laced. I would seriously question the integrity of this breeder after that comment. If she is truly from Blue Laced Red stock, then she is the Black phase. Or the breeder could have just lied and sent you Gold Laced. I am not expert enough to be able to tell the difference. The only way to get all black is to breed black to black. If the breeder had all blues, then about 50% of the offspring should have been blue, only 25% black. Statistics, of course, actual results can vary.

Quote:
She is gold laced. If she was any kind of blue laced then she would have some bluing showing in her tail and under fluff.

Here is a pullet (8 mths) that is a very dark blue, though she looks almost black. You can detect the dark blue on the tail feathers and behind her legs under her rump. That under fluff shows blue. This is about as dark as you can get on the BLRW.
The breeder sounds less than honest. You see the blue when they hatch and they keep it as they mature, it doesn't miraculously appear at a certain age or after molting.

9332_blrw_stop_taking_pix_10-11.jpg

Here she and her siblings are when they were 5 months old. You see the blue in the feathering.

9332_blrw_8-11_foley_flock.jpg

Quote:
Mamma Hen, it is totally not true that it takes that time to become blue laced. I would seriously question the integrity of this breeder after that comment. If she is truly from Blue Laced Red stock, then she is the Black phase. Or the breeder could have just lied and sent you Gold Laced. I am not expert enough to be able to tell the difference. The only way to get all black is to breed black to black. If the breeder had all blues, then about 50% of the offspring should have been blue, only 25% black. Statistics, of course, actual results can vary.

Thank you for your wisdom. Whatever she is, she is beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom