Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Pics
Hi Everyone! I'm a lurker here and have enjoyed reading this thread a little at a time! I love the BLR Wy's and have recently and finally accquired a Splash BLR male to put over my 2 girls.

He is of Foley lines and the 2 girls I have are of Foley and someone else that I can't recall at this time. I originally got the BLRW's for crossing into my Barnevelders to make Blue Laced Barnies and have a very nice young F1 cockerel growing out from my first crosses....but I completely fell in love with these big fluffy butted girls and had to search out a male so that I could try my hand at breeding them. I had some Silver Laced Wy's when I first started out with chickens and was not impressed with their laying, but these 2 girls are laying machines and so very docile. The BLRW girl went broody shortly after she started laying. ..she raised some of my Marans chicks and excellent at her job.

Would love it if all of you with tons more experience with this breed would critique my trio for me. I have very thick skin and no one will upset me with the truth so please do not hold back. Thank you in advance!

I know the male "Boss Hog" has a less than desireable comb as it is not 100% smooth but I am going to try working with it and see what happens as the girls have nice smooth combs. I also have access to a GORGEOUS BLR cock bird that IMHO has beautifully smooth comb and could use him if necessary. But am going to try this guy out for now as I love the splash and would like to get more splash that is why I picked him over the BLW male....but alas someday I will have that BLR male too...I can feel it in my bones. LOL!

Here's "Boss" His lacing is a bit messy on the wing and also he is a bit messy in the hackle.....hoping this is something I can correct in future breedings. He is still young and filling out and I expect that he will be a nice beefy boy once he is done maturing.

Leg color.....I love his leg color. My girls don't have leg color like this, theirs is pale yellow by comparison.

My Splash girl....and the Mamma of my F1 Barnie cross cockerel.

My Blue girl....the excellent Mamma, she can raise babies anytime she wants to.

check www.wyandottebreedersofamerica.net
The comb should have rounded bumps, however not the hollow center on the cock.

Hi Everyone! I'm a lurker here and have enjoyed reading this thread a little at a time! I love the BLR Wy's and have recently and finally accquired a Splash BLR male to put over my 2 girls.

He is of Foley lines and the 2 girls I have are of Foley and someone else that I can't recall at this time. I originally got the BLRW's for crossing into my Barnevelders to make Blue Laced Barnies and have a very nice young F1 cockerel growing out from my first crosses....but I completely fell in love with these big fluffy butted girls and had to search out a male so that I could try my hand at breeding them. I had some Silver Laced Wy's when I first started out with chickens and was not impressed with their laying, but these 2 girls are laying machines and so very docile. The BLRW girl went broody shortly after she started laying. ..she raised some of my Marans chicks and excellent at her job.

Would love it if all of you with tons more experience with this breed would critique my trio for me. I have very thick skin and no one will upset me with the truth so please do not hold back. Thank you in advance!

I know the male "Boss Hog" has a less than desireable comb as it is not 100% smooth but I am going to try working with it and see what happens as the girls have nice smooth combs. I also have access to a GORGEOUS BLR cock bird that IMHO has beautifully smooth comb and could use him if necessary. But am going to try this guy out for now as I love the splash and would like to get more splash that is why I picked him over the BLW male....but alas someday I will have that BLR male too...I can feel it in my bones. LOL!

Here's "Boss" His lacing is a bit messy on the wing and also he is a bit messy in the hackle.....hoping this is something I can correct in future breedings. He is still young and filling out and I expect that he will be a nice beefy boy once he is done maturing.

Leg color.....I love his leg color. My girls don't have leg color like this, theirs is pale yellow by comparison.

He does have great leg color! I agree that his comb is concave and rough. It is hard to get a good picture of the BLRWs that shows their actual color, but it looks to me like his color could be richer, deep red, and his lacing crisper. I would also like to see a rounder breast on him. Sometimes a rooster, although he himself is not perfect, will click with a certain line of hens and give you great chicks. I found this to be true with my Greg Catt line splash rooster over black laced red Foley hens. Although not perfect, I have included pictures of him because I like his smooth, close to the head comb and crisp color and lacing.

so the combs should be rose or pea? the standard says rose. But I have seen several pea combs in person. in fact in one flock - the roosters are rose combed (one really bad combed), but the hens lean more towards to the pea with more smoother surfance with minimal prongs (I hope this makes sense!). This flock's eggs are in the incubator so it will be interesting to see what happens. (if I get to see them).

The standard didnt say about the color of legs.

He does have great leg color! I agree that his comb is concave and rough. It is hard to get a good picture of the BLRWs that shows their actual color, but it looks to me like his color could be richer, deep red, and his lacing crisper. I would also like to see a rounder breast on him. Sometimes a rooster, although he himself is not perfect, will click with a certain line of hens and give you great chicks. I found this to be true with my Greg Catt line splash rooster over black laced red Foley hens. Although not perfect, I have included pictures of him because I like his smooth, close to the head comb and crisp color and lacing. 

I'm another lurker here and just completed reading the entire thread. I've discovered a huge enthusiasm for Wyandottes. Just a month ago I hardly even knew what they were.

Chickee ~ Is your splash the father of my little pullet?
I just love her!

And Pink Chick, I love the splash marked hens.

My real dream is to acquire a trio of SLW's one of these days. But not until I've learned some poultry husbandry skills with a first small laying flock.

Thanks to you all for the wealth of information on this thread. :ya :cd :yesss:
:woot

ZoiChick

Yep, he sure is
thumbsup.gif
Glad your enjoying your little girl
big_smile.png

Legs should be yellow on most varieties including blr. The hens' legs are lighter since laying pulls pigment from their skin. My blacks have darker shanks which is acceptable as long as the bottom of their feet are yellow. The color of the shanks is related to the green sheen of their feathers. If I want a cock with yellow legs, I have to sacrifice the coloring of my black hens. A reputable breeder turned me onto all of the old, wonderful, and FREE publications about wyandotte breeding in google ebooks. They are an incredible wealth of information. The one thing he also always pounded into me about blr was the color was the easy part, that can be done within a generation or two. Trying to get the true body type of a good wyandotte is the important part and the heart of it all.
love.gif

Colby in Kentucky

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom