Blue Laced Red Wyandotte?

GardenIslandChickens

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2021
Kaua'i
Hello! Had this chick added to my order from a local breeder as a freebie, want to confirm it is a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. It looks drastically different from the other chicks- a mix of Welsummer, Bielefelder, 55 Flowery Hen, Olive Egger, and Blue Birchen Marans so I'm fairly confident in saying it's the BLRW but it's coloring is very light? Is that normal? I've seen a pretty big range of chick colors online- some look like chipmunk colors and others are paler so I'm just not sure.
Also super hoping it's a pullet- thoughts on that would be appreciated although she(hopefully she!) is only a little over a week in these photos so may just need to wait and see!

Attachments

• BLRWcrosspic.jpg
    BLRWcrosspic.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 16
  • BLRWface.jpg
    BLRWface.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 12
  • BLRWside.jpg
    BLRWside.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 14
  • BLRWtop.jpg
    BLRWtop.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 12
Hello! Had this chick added to my order from a local breeder as a freebie, want to confirm it is a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. It looks drastically different from the other chicks- a mix of Welsummer, Bielefelder, 55 Flowery Hen, Olive Egger, and Blue Birchen Marans so I'm fairly confident in saying it's the BLRW but it's coloring is very light? Is that normal? I've seen a pretty big range of chick colors online- some look like chipmunk colors and others are paler so I'm just not sure.
Also super hoping it's a pullet- thoughts on that would be appreciated although she(hopefully she!) is only a little over a week in these photos so may just need to wait and see!
It is hard to tell at this young of an age.

I'm fairly confident in saying it's the BLRW but it's coloring is very light? Is that normal?
Hi there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Completely normal.. breeding blue unless done in a specific manner will throw some blacks, blues, and splash.. laced reds.. Most hatcheries aren't offering the guarantee of blue in the BBS.. usual percentage is 50% blue, 25% black, and 25% splash.

I agree with Overo and actually think the splash laced reds are beautiful.. :love

Bred to a BLACK laced red will produce 100% blue laced red offspring. The blue will vary from light to dark grey.. it's challenging to get consistent "blue"..

When attempting to look at similar chick colors.. I always check the website specific to the place I ordered.. what THEIR chicks are alleged to look like.

Sounds like you got quite the wonderful variety for a full adventure! :wee

Back
Top Bottom