Blue Laced Red Wyandottes??

Chrleone28

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 15, 2012
Galloway, NJ
Hi Everyone,
My name is Chris, this is my first post here. We keep many different chicken breeds on our farm along with Royal Palm turkeys, ornamental water fowl and a slew of other animals.

Two weeks ago, I purchased a trio of what are supposed to be Blue Laced Wyandottes.
The breeder sold them to us as described but couldn't answer many questions we had, which concerned us, still we took them home. Well, being we are so new to Wyandottes and any terms associated with them, we are unsure if we were sold the right thing. I am attaching photos of the trio. It's a Roo and 2 hens, all hatched this year (again this is what I am told). They seem to have all the characteristics of Wyandottes but I am unsure if they are true Blue laced. Also what is the difference between a Blue Laced and a Blue Laced Red? I also am having a hard time understanding what a "splash" is...and if any of these are splashes.

If anyone can help us here as to what exactly we have, that would be great! They are GORGEOUS birds and we paid quite a bit for them!

Here is the Rooster:

Here is Hen 1:

Here is Hen 2:

Last edited:
Yep, those are all blue laced red wyandottes. From the looks of it, I'd say all three are of the "splash" varieties. Splash vs. blue vs. black just has to do with the blue lacing- on a splash, it'll be very pale, blue is medium, and black is black (they look almost exactly like a golden laced wyandotte).

The lacing on them is really nice; it's a good looking trio.

A blue laced would look like this:
http://bluffcountryshetlandsandbackyardchickens.webs.com/BLRW Hen.jpg

I can't find a good picture of a black. This one is one of my chicks when he was going through a very ugly duckling stage. I swear his lacing got better:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/wendywr/chickens/7ed05ffd.jpg

They are all blue laced reds(BLR). And are all the "Splash color", so all you will hatch out is splashes. BLR come in 3 color phases: blue, black and splash.

If you mate:

Blue X Blue = 50% Blue . 25% Black , 25% Splash

Blue X Splash = 50% Blue , 50% Splash

Blue X Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black

Splash X Black = 100% Blue

Black X Black = 100% Black

Splash X Splash = 100% Splash

These are based on mating of 100 chicks. It is possible to have varying results when breeding smaller #'s when the law of average has yet to take effect.

Black is a base color. Blue is black diluted once, splash is black diluted twice, if that makes sense. The crosses above give you a good idea what outcomes you'll get. My understanding is since all your birds are double dilute, all chicks should be double dilute, ie splash.

You might want to post pics on the "breeds, genetics and showing" section, there should be a thread about this color wyandottes. I'd be concerned with them as breeding stock as they don't seem to have typical wyandotte body shapes, they seem more upright. This could be due to stress and a changed environment, but the just look off to me. And are the legs of the hens a different color than the rooster? I'd be concerned about that, for breeding also.

Black is a base color. Blue is black diluted once, splash is black diluted twice, if that makes sense. The crosses above give you a good idea what outcomes you'll get. My understanding is since all your birds are double dilute, all chicks should be double dilute, ie splash.

You might want to post pics on the "breeds, genetics and showing" section, there should be a thread about this color wyandottes. I'd be concerned with them as breeding stock as they don't seem to have typical wyandotte body shapes, they seem more upright. This could be due to stress and a changed environment, but the just look off to me. And are the legs of the hens a different color than the rooster? I'd be concerned about that, for breeding also.
x2

Thank you everyone for your responses!

Here are some more photos for you. Yes they definitely get in the alert position when I get close for a photo, so it's hard to get a shot of their relaxed body type. But, here are some anyway. I also took shots of each bird's foot to show the color. For some reason, the legs and feet look to be a different color in some of these photos until I get a close up shot. Then, the color is pretty much the same or at the very least, similar. Hopefully these photos will help a bit more. I'm happy they are splash, I find them to be the most attractive, but I still want to be sure of what I have.

Rooster:
Here he is next to one of our Cuckoo Marans

Here he is with one of his girls

Here he is acting tough

Hen 1:
Here are 2 shots of her in the barn, again she is alert

In this one, there is a Rhode Island Red to her left

Here she is foraging, lighting is terrible and really washes out her color here

Hen 2:
Here she is in the barn with a Comet behind her

Lastly, here are their feet:
Rooster: