Blue or Pink?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Julic, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Julic

Julic Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    Picked this baby up from Rural King a couple weeks ago. It was in the "pullet" bin. Probably 4 or 5 weeks old by the looks of things. Behaves more aggressively than the other chicks. All of them are trying to get established in the pecking order but this one gets carried away. Always flying around, lowering its head and flapping its wings at the others as well as pecking. It is not constant but certainly more than the others do it.
    ~~I am not skilled enough to know if it is a cockerel at this age. Help please?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    You have a Gold Laced Wyandotte, and that is a rose comb.

Scanning your photos, overall the comb doesn't look very developed yet, so it still looks to be pullet...however 4 to 5 weeks is early.

The legs are thicker, but I have had plenty of hens with thick legs. It is more aggressive, but I've had plenty of snotty ladies as well.

Watch the comb. Males will get large red combs with red wattles early on. Rose comb can be a bit harder to see, but I'll link a good Wyandotte comparison below.

A girl https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/669382/golden-laced-wyandotte-pullet-or-roo

A boy https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/669382/golden-laced-wyandotte-pullet-or-roo

Enjoy your new flock. [​IMG]
    Lady of McCamley

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I'm with Lady, above. It's mostly too early to tell.

That being said, my gut instinct is male based on those legs.

4. Julic

Julic Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    Thanks to you both! I will keep my fingers crossed. Don't want any little boys :)
    Lady of McCarnley, If 4-5 weeks is too early, how old do you think. I figured that age because I have other babies that are 3 weeks and I got them from a hatchery when they were a couple days old so I am sure of that age. These Wyandottes are the same size as them and much smaller than my Comets when they were 6 weeks. So what are you thinking? It would be nice to have a better idea of the age because I got four of these from Rural King (2 Gold Lace and 2 Silver Lace).

5. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    The behavior you described doesnt sound like rooster behavior it sounds like all chicks in general male and female lol. You should see my 8 week old silkie chicks in the AM when I turn the light on lol.

It is a Golden Laced Wyandotte and though it is still VERY early to tell gender,so take all we say right now with a grain of salt, but I was also having a small gut feeling that it is a roo. But again you should definitely post back with pics in about another 2 weeks.

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Sometimes Wyandottes can take a while longer to mature, but you should have a better idea by 8 weeks, definitely by 10 weeks.

I could go either way with this one...that comb is not looking that big, and while those legs are lanky and thicker...I've had so many girls that look that way grown into fine hens that I don't just look at legs anymore. Comb seems to be the best early indicator in the non-auto sexing breeds in my experience.

Wait it out.

Lady of McCamley

8. Julic

Julic Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    Thanks everyone for the info. I will keep a watch out and post more pics in a few weeks.

9. Julic

Julic Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    Here are some updated pictures of the G/L and S/L Wyandottes. I was so sure they were all male but now I am thinking probably not. The comb is red on all of them but I read that they will have redder combs at a younger age. They are approximately 9 weeks now. What do you think? blue? Sorry for all the other birds in the photos...they are in my "nursery coop". Got to learn how to put themselves to bed at night before I will move them to the big girl free range coop :)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by