blue orp babies, gender? *updated pics*

TurtleChick

Songster
12 Years
Oct 3, 2007
Tacoma, WA
hi all -

they're about 6 1/2 weeks old now - i think i have 3 roos, 4 pullets - any input is greatly appreciated!!!

roo #1

IMGP0185.jpg

roo #2

IMGP0187.jpg

roo #3 (special needs, poor lil guy - but he's so funny and feisty! gotta love him.
big_smile.png
)

IMGP0186.jpg

pullet #1

IMGP0189.jpg

pullet #2

IMGP0193.jpg

splash pullet #3 (? - she's the one i'm on the fence about.... i hope she's a girl!)

IMGP0194.jpg

here's a better pic of her comb:

IMGP0198.jpg

pullet #4

IMGP0196.jpg

thanks in advance!

wee.gif

Last edited:
I think you're right, but I'm also on the fence with the splash. At the moment, I'd say cockerel.

I had one splash Orp in my last hatch that feathered in like a girl, tail, everything, then turned the tables on me, bad chick. It's running joke about any splash Orp I want to keep is a cockerel, but if I send the eggs to someone else, they hatch a splash pullet.
hmm.png

I don't have any real feedback...I think you're guessing well! :) Can you share what #3's special needs are? I'm just being nosey...curious...call it what you will.
wink.png
They are pretty babies. I'm getting so many ideas for what chickies I'm going to bully my husband into letting me get next year. LOL

wingnuts - he's so funny! the day after we got them (about 3 or 4 days old maybe?), he was a little droopy - had to perk him up and hand feed him some vit/electrolyte and warm mash. ever since he's been a little slower to develop than everyone else - and i hadn't noticed it until recently (when we started giving them some mealworms, scratch, etc) but when he aims and pecks at something on the floor, he misses - hits JUST in front of stuff - so he ends up chasing stuff all over the place (kinda like a little kid trying to catch a ball but keeps kicking it just before they can grab it...). i worry that he has a bit of a depth perception problem or something - he's the reason they still get warm mash twice a day (spoiled!) - i want to be sure he's getting enough to eat. but he sure has energy to spare! he's so feisty and funny - and so cute... he loves to snuggle with his siblings.

speckled - i went to look and see how close the leg color is, but they're all sleeping - didn't have the heart to wake them up. i think his legs are a bit lighter than everyone else's. the breeder i got him from also is doing a self-lavender project (and she used a americauna roo) - wonder if he snuck into my order by accident? s'alright with me - i ordered 6 chicks and got 7!
smile.png
i'll look again later when they're shrieking at me for their mash!

babies, now
smile.png
9weeks old.

this one i know is a cockerel - he's such a fluffy butt. he needs a home.... anyone???

IMGP0223.jpg

this one i have been really hoping is a girl... but i'm starting to doubt it...
sad.png

IMGP0220.jpg

and the other little girls (and boy(s))... so pretty!

IMGP0218.jpg

thanks for looking!

frow.gif

I have a late bloomer also. He is a Black Orpington and is half the size of his siblings. Is there a pattern here?

Here he is looking pitifully under feathered (So ugly he's cute)

33315_sdc10191.jpg

Here's the little one next to a sibling of the same age

33315_sdc10196.jpg

Hmm i think you are for the most part right. to me roo #2 kinda looks like a girl but i am no expert. and roo #3 I cant really see the comb. but roo #1 i would say you nailed right off the bat.
and i think all the suspected to be pullets are indeed pullets.
Hopefully i am right because i am guessing you want a lot of pullets?
big_smile.png

Good luck with them!

Back
Top Bottom