Blue Orpington?

SaltyHen

Songster
Nov 16, 2021
New Brunswick, Canada
Meet Ashley [edit: I may rename to Anna, still deciding], born in late spring 2021, exact date uncertain. Sold to me as a blue Orpington, what do you think? Also, (over)due to start laying any time now, but given the shorter days now, I assume she won't until next spring?

Note: There appears to be some faint traces of tan/brown in the photo, which shows in all my photos of her no matter how I color correct them. But I think that's just a trick of the camera/light as I can't actually see it on her in-person here. :confused:

Attachments

• 20211117_163153~2.jpg
    20211117_163153~2.jpg
    795.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Meet Ashley, born in late spring 2021, exact date uncertain. Sold to me as a blue Orpington, what do you think? Also, (over)due to start laying any time now, but given the shorter days now, I assume she won't until next spring?

Note: There appears to be some faint traces of tan/brown in the photo, which shows in all my photos of her no matter how I color correct them. But I think that's just a trick of the camera/light as I can't actually see it on her in-person here. :confused:
Looks pure to me.

Meet Ashley, born in late spring 2021, exact date uncertain. Sold to me as a blue Orpington, what do you think? Also, (over)due to start laying any time now, but given the shorter days now, I assume she won't until next spring?

I would think she is. I looked up sapphire gems and they have yellow feet, so she's not one of those.

Looks like it to me....Phoebe, blue orpington, born mid March ;)

Attachments

• 20210803_171223.jpg
    20210803_171223.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 9
Looks like a blue orpington to me.

Blues don't breed true and blue\blue always throw black and splash chicks too, so the blue color and quality can vary quite a bit and there's a few different parent color combinations that will get you there. Could be a feather sheen being picked up by the camera if its not something you've noticed before. Some blues can be lighter, some darker, and some with that bit of darker lacing like on your hen or a darker blue head... All normal.

She doesn't look to be a mix, if that's what you're worried about.

Looks like a blue orpington to me.

Blues don't breed true and blue\blue always throw black and splash chicks too, so the blue color and quality can vary quite a bit and there's a few different parent color combinations that will get you there. Could be a feather sheen being picked up by the camera if its not something you've noticed before. Some blues can be lighter, some darker, and some with that bit of darker lacing like on your hen or a darker blue head... All normal.

She doesn't look to be a mix, if that's what you're worried about.
Thank you, that's interesting to learn. Not worried, I like her no matter what. :) Just curious.

Thank you, that's interesting to learn. Not worried, I like her no matter what. :) Just curious.
I'm jealous.

Ordered 12 BBS hatching eggs which came from a bit too far and the hatch was rough, to say the least - only black chicks made it to hatch and all the lockdown quitters looked to have been black as well. I was hoping for a blue and a splash, but I didn't win that lottery.

Back
Top Bottom