Blue Orpingtons

Aw, cute babies! Mine are due to hatch April 8th, can't wait! So you don't get any splash with that cross?
Below is a color chart that may help you:

Blue to Blue = 50% Blue 25% Black 25% splash

Blue to Black = 50% Blue 50% Black

Blue to Splash = 50% Blue 50% Splash

Black to Splash = 100% Blue

Splash to Splash = 100% Splash

Black to Black = 100% Black

This is Lacy! A beautiful Blue with gorgeous lacing!

I have wanted some backyard chickens for quite awhile and this site looked like a great way to learn more before I started keeping some. Someone told me how much they like Blue & lavender Orpingtons - and that they were friendly and easy keepers so I am just reading through all the posts to find out more and see if they are the breed for me :)
263a.png

I have wanted some backyard chickens for quite awhile and this site looked like a great way to learn more before I started keeping some. Someone told me how much they like Blue & lavender Orpingtons - and that they were friendly and easy keepers so I am just reading through all the posts to find out more and see if they are the breed for me :)
263a.png

Lacy in the above picture is sweet and curious and will eat out of our hands, especially if it is her favorite treat, cut up seedless grapes. We didn't raise her from a young chick, but spend quality time with her and the other young chickens we have. None of them are laying yet, but it shouldn't be too much longer. Take the plunge. Buy the chickens!
1f414.png
1f414.png

Lacy sounds wonderful! And she's beautiful. The Blue Orpingtons really are such pretty birds and it sounds like a lot of fun to have them around. I'm also intrigued to read how people are breeding them to get specific colors and traits. Do you just have Blues?

Lacy sounds wonderful! And she's beautiful. The Blue Orpingtons really are such pretty birds and it sounds like a lot of fun to have them around. I'm also intrigued to read how people are breeding them to get specific colors and traits. Do you just have Blues?

I don't breed them. We are blessed to have a friend who breeds many varieties, in addition to buying and selling hatching eggs. My son started 4-H this year, and I have secretly always wanted chickens, lol, so I kind of steered him to laying hens for his 1st project.
We have 3 gorgeous Blk Orps, Lacy, 2 Blk Ameraucanas, 1 Blue Ameraucana, & 1 Splash Ameraucana. They are so fun and sweet. The Splash and Blue Amer are pets and very tame. We got them at 6 weeks old and live them dearly. My son today with his 4-H group doing community service at a Retirement community.

This is our little backyard set-up. Chicken coop and run with a chunnel connection.

I like the chunnel. I've seen a couple set ups where they've used chicken wire for fencing and strung fishing line above to deter predators but this seems much more efficient - and attractive. Do you move the Chunnel at all to give them a different area to scratch at or is it stationary?

Oh my gosh. So cute. It's interesting that you have Americaunas as well as that was the other breed that was suggested to me as friendly, attractive birds. I bet they're bringing a lot of joy to the retirement home. 4H is such a great way to be involved in the community and learn about the fun and responsibility of taking care of animals. Kudos to you for helping your son be involved. I am starting to look into breeders and what is available. It is handy to have friends lol.

I like the chunnel. I've seen a couple set ups where they've used chicken wire for fencing and strung fishing line above to deter predators but this seems much more efficient - and attractive. Do you move the Chunnel at all to give them a different area to scratch at or is it stationary?

The chunnel is not stationary, as I move it daily to clean poops. The coop has a small door to attach the chunnel, so that the chickens have extra room to roam and I added another feeding and water station inside the chunnel. The chunnel was necessary when I added the 3 blk Orps so they wouldnt get bullied bu the original flock as they were re-establishing their pecking order. The chunnel can be moved aroumd the yard, but I generally keep it in the same place when I am not home during work hours, and then they free range for about 3 hours when I get home from work.

Back
Top Bottom