blue orpinton personality?

kla37

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Hillsborough, NC USA
We have a flock of 9 chickens right now, and the sweetest, most loving, most snuggly one is the buff orpington we have, named Sunny! The black australorps are a close second to her, but I want to get a few more chicks next spring and I'd love to get a couple more orpingtons. Are the blue orpingtons and the other colors just as nice as the buff ones? Does the personality of a breed vary with color? Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, new to chickens here, but LOVING it!

I love my BBS (blue, black and splash) orps to death, but they are drama queens. All of them, except the roo, who was raised with a batch of Delawares. They have to scream and run and make a fuss about everything. Once I get hold of them, they are fine, but they sure like to raise a riot about being picked up.

They are indeed drama queens. They are screamers...Don't touch me! Pick me up, are you kidding???
roll.png
My big blue Orp rooster is a love, though. He's sweet and easy to handle, just a great guy, not a human-aggressive bone in his body.

I would have to agree with the other two. My blues seem to be more stand offish and evade pick up. After they get in your hands/arms they love to stay. It's almost like they don't want anyone else to know that they like being held.

I have four blue ops about 3 months old and they are my favorite chickens so far. They run after me when lose. One of my pullets, Willow actually jumps in my lap every night for pets before going to bed.
48594_willow.jpg

They want the most attention out of all my chickens. They peck me the least also. My cockerel is so much sweeter than my other breeds.
48594_light_eye.jpg

I just want to hug all my fluffy butts! Sometimes they even let me.
big_smile.png

They also get along together very well. They go to bed in a pile every night.

I like the way that my black and blue Orpingtons talk to me every morning when I go out to open the door to the run so that they can free range. I know that they're asking me in Chickenese if I'm going to give them some birdseed like every other morning, and if so, why am I taking so long.

My Blue Orpingtons are wonderful. My favorite breed of chicken - only breed we have, matter of fact. They might not be the most "touchy-feely" of chickens, but they have fantastic personalities. It is like CloggingChicken says - when you pick them up, after the initial sqauwk of protest (for show only), they love to be held and to get a "chicken massage." Ours are laid back (until it comes to treats), curious, sweet, and funny. They"talk back" to us all the time. I can even pick my broody girls up off the nest without a single peck. Now my rooster is a massive boy, but he loves to be picked up and rubbed. I live in the country with no neighbors so it is not a problem, but my girls are loud, loud, loud.

Back
Top Bottom