Blue Plymouth Rock

Thank you @edgarmongold @springvalley123 and @The Moonshiner for your insights on this. I do realize I've been dupped now. But I have to say, these birds are really great and I might consider getting another batch in a couple years to re-up on them if they turn out to be as great of layers as the hatchery suggested - mine are 14 weeks right now so not quite laying yet. They are hardy though. I have a fully free range laying flock so I need alert birds with a little weight to them or enough smarts and speed to get under cover quickly. Most of them are still refusing to go into the coops at night (despite plenty of space) with the other layers (in Maine, in almost December - although it hasn't gotten very cold yet here strangely enough). They prefer to sleep under the covered roof shelters that I have out for rainy/snowy day protection.

Last edited:
This is from the original creaters of the hybrid.
https://dominant-cz.cz/programy/hneda-skorapka/dominant-modry-d107/
Hoover's supposedly imported eggs from the parental stock and also eggs from the parental stock of below to create their own flocks to create the cross.
https://dominant-cz.cz/programy/hneda-skorapka/dominant-cervene-zihany-d159/
These they marketed as their Calico Princess.
Interesting that this company now sells another blue breed that has red leakage. They're using the same hybrid hen that Hoover's sells for this cross.
Since Hoover's and others are producing blue birds with leakage I'm gonna bet theyre using the Calico Princess hens for at least some of their newest blue hybrids.

I bought 2 blue rocks (still to young to lay). I assumed at the time that what I was getting would be "production blues".
I am 100% ok with that for my flock. They are pretty birds and do not seem particularly skittish so as long as they lay 3-5 eggs a week I am happy.

Not really adding anything of value here I guess. Following along to learn more than anything.

This is from the original creaters of the hybrid.
https://dominant-cz.cz/programy/hneda-skorapka/dominant-modry-d107/
Hoover's supposedly imported eggs from the parental stock and also eggs from the parental stock of below to create their own flocks to create the cross.
https://dominant-cz.cz/programy/hneda-skorapka/dominant-cervene-zihany-d159/
These they marketed as their Calico Princess.
Interesting that this company now sells another blue breed that has red leakage. They're using the same hybrid hen that Hoover's sells for this cross.
Since Hoover's and others are producing blue birds with leakage I'm gonna bet theyre using the Calico Princess hens for at least some of their newest blue hybrids.
Thanks for the updated link! Yes, the D187 does look like the "new version" of the D107. I liked that the D107, the original sapphire gem, was good in hot climates. I guess with the calico princess "diluting" the "original andalusians" that might not be the case any more. I guess a person will have to watch for pictures of the parent stock or something to know if they're getting D107 or D187, or which variety their hatchery is closest to, dependingn on what environmentn the birds will live in?

I bought 2 blue rocks (still to young to lay). I assumed at the time that what I was getting would be "production blues".
I am 100% ok with that for my flock. They are pretty birds and do not seem particularly skittish so as long as they lay 3-5 eggs a week I am happy.

Not really adding anything of value here I guess. Following along to learn more than anything.
I saw that Privett Hatchery has production blue (they define as RIRXblue australorp) and blue plymouth rock (they define as barred rock x andalusian). Interesting and confusing!

I saw that Privett Hatchery has production blue (they define as RIRXblue australorp) and blue plymouth rock (they define as barred rock x andalusian). Interesting and confusing!

I should have asked my farm store which hatchery they get them from. I really do like that farm store. It is a local place and they do a fantastic job handling chicks year round.

Doesn’t really matter what you call them as long as they perform like you want.
Except exhibiting under APA rules.
Still no luck on internet finding standard bred Blue Plymouth Rock.
To see color pattern go to www.Diane Jackie.com and drill down to Blue Wyandotte.
They really are beautiful colored birds.

Back
Top Bottom