Blue Silkie Rooster Over Chocolate Satin Hen?

sharonleighc

Hatching
Apr 13, 2022
I have a magnificent blue Silkie boy and a Chocolate Satin hen. I’ve seen genetics for the opposite… chocolate roo to blue female… but is anyone familiar w/ the genetics to know what the mix of these two may produce… along w/ the satin factor of course…. I’d hoped the chocolate would be a boy so I could make him Chip- lol 😆

Here’s a cute chocolate baby pic- b4 knowing she’d be a satin….

Attachments

• 3304EB39-8D25-4B34-B90D-E5233B390236.jpeg
    3304EB39-8D25-4B34-B90D-E5233B390236.jpeg
    378.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 0FB2E9BE-1BEE-40A4-91E2-588E2EE46788.jpeg
    0FB2E9BE-1BEE-40A4-91E2-588E2EE46788.jpeg
    411.4 KB · Views: 18
Chocolate is a sexlinked recessive gene. Hens can only pass sexlinked genes to their sons so all male offspring will be carrying chocolate, but since their father is Blue (and I assume not carrying a chocolate gene) none of the offspring will be outwardly Chocolate in appearance.

For the purposes of crossing her to Blue, the hen is effectively black since her chocolate gene is recessive, so it's the same as crossing Blue to Black; half of the offspring will be Blue and half will be Black, not selective of sex.

As for her being a Satin, that means it's pretty likely that she carries a gene for silkied feathering without expressing it, as it's a recessive gene. This means about half of her offspring with a silkied male will be silkied as well, and half smooth like her, also not selective of sex.

So I would expect you to get roughly 1/4 smooth Black offspring, 1/4 silkied Black offspring, 1/4 smooth Blue offspring, and 1/4 silkied Blue offspring from that crossing. All smooth offspring will carry a silkied gene, and all male offspring will carry a chocolate gene.

She was a cute chick! For the record, I don't think there's anything wrong with giving a female the name Chip. ;)

Breeding Blue to Chocolate is how you eventually make Mauve. There's nothing wrong with breeding those two varieties together.

Breeding Blue to Lavender is where you get a mess because it's hard to tell which birds are expressing lavender and which are not past the gene for Blue plumage.

Back
Top Bottom