Blue Slate Question

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Oregon Blues, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Is the color of the Blue Slate turkeys a BBS like blue is in ducks and chickens?

If you breed two Blue Slates together do you get black, blue, and splash poults? If so, what are the black and splash turkeys called?

In order to breed Blue Slates, do you have to keep black and splash breeding stock?

2. megshenhut

megshenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Central Colorado
    The blue genetics does work the same way. Blue slates will give you slate, black and self blue. I don't think the light self blues are called splash in turkeys. I don't know what the blacks are actually called or if they have a specific name. I've hatched them for 2 years now and gotten all three colors from my slates. Mostly slates, a few blacks and very few self blues. I assume the colors would work the same if you bred the blacks and the self blues, but I don't know from experience. I just know the self blues are hard to come by. Last year I hatched 9 and only got 1 self blue. This year I hatched 11 and got 2. I'm wanting a self blue hen to keep for my breeders, but I'm still waiting.[​IMG]

3. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by