blue tarps for roofing on tractors

hiwasseenursery

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 6, 2011
Tennessee
Has anyone used tarps for roofing on tractors? I know they do not last forever but are lightweight and relatively cheap compared to other roofing materials. My real question is will they be too hot in direct sun on a 90 degree day to use? What about predators? Do you use hardware cloth underneath? I was thinking of constructing some panels like that for a Salatin style coop. Anyone with experience using tarps for roofing?

My rabbit hutch coop leaks and so I've been using a blue tarp with a wool blanket underneath for warmth and absorbtion. It does the trick for keeping wind, rain and snow out. We haven't had heat yet. You could try using silver reflective insulation, blankets or windshield visors for hot days.

Last edited:
Mine are actually two sided. One blue, the other silver, but they are what I use on my tractors. Silver side out. Have to change them about twice a year. Works great for me. Just make sure to secure them so they can't flap a lot because that will cause excessive wear.

Mine are actually two sided. One blue, the other silver, but they are what I use on my tractors. Silver side out. Have to change them about twice a year. Works great for me. Just make sure to secure them so they can't flap a lot because that will cause excessive wear.
That's what I used when I still used my tarped tractors. The tractors were all wired in, and there was an acessory or additoinal A frame for the tarp. I put my tarps silver side out. The inside of mine were brown. Some generic brand from home depot. My tarps last about 2-3 years before they leak. The cheap blue only taprs only last about a year. They tend to mold and rot out vs getting sun damaged in the PNW.

I believe mine are the Ozark Trails brand or whatever Wal Mart calls the brand of tarps they sell which is where I ordinarily get mine. Home Deport and Lowes and Tractor Supply carry similar tarps.

If you are in the South and want them to really last look for the ones that are UV resistant.

I couldn't find the reflective tarps at lowes. But I have a relatively new regular blue one I cut and nailed to panels tightly around the borders with those plastic washer type nails. Im thinking it may get hot and I have some tar paper I might add under the tarps. Im going to finish up on the tractor this weekend and throw in some Easter Eggers for a trial run. The pea comb fowl don't seem to take the heat as well. So we will see how they do. I am actually wanting to use the tractor for a grow off pen for buckeyes, which are also pea combed. I will post some photos when I get finished for feedback. Its an 8x8 tractor and pretty heavy already with half enclosed (3 sided). Hope it works out. Thanks for the insight.

This is what I ended up doing to the tractor. The panels are hinged and it worked out pretty well. Although It did get quite hot. I added some 50% shade cloth to one side and that helped. Its an 8'x8' tractor. There are a few more photos in my profile photos under tractor.

Back
Top Bottom