Blue tint to comb, Lethargic/ inactive. Please Help! Sick chicken....

00BlasterResto

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 15, 2011
indiana
Today when we went out to close the chicken coop we found our tan chicken we got this spring on the floor being lethargic and she has a blueish tint to her comb. She is obviously not feeling well.
It has snowed all day long and they did not really come out of the coop today, I did not shovel it since it has been steady snowing the whole day.
She is with 6 other girls who all seem to be fine.
The wheather has been nasty and I am not sure how well she has been eating, her chest feels a bit boney. I brought her in on my porch and put her in a cage I built when they were young to warm her up.
She did eat a bit of food when we brought her in. (layer crumbles)
I tried to get a pic of her. any help or advise would be really appreciated, this is the first sick chicken we have had.
20znw1v.jpg

25fnk9e.jpg

does she have any other symptoms? runny poo? could be parasites, or cocci? you might try giving her some yogurt, get a stool sample to the vet if you can it is best to know what you are dealing with and if you need to treat the whole flock.

Last edited:
is her breathing ok or is there a rattle?

breathing normal or fast and shallow?

I just brought her in mabey 30 min. ago and she has not pooped yet. I will update on that ASAP.
Her breathering seems fairly normal from what I can tell, no rattle or anything noticable.
She did drink some electrolyte water, a bit of food and a bit of apple. It is snowing pretty good and I won't be able to get yogurt untill morning.
Her heart seems to be beating a bit fast?
I would like to get a sample to the vet, not sure if it is possible for me right now though. If I can get one I could possibly get a family member to take it to the vet tomorrow. I just started a new job and am working alot of hours.
She is very tired right now but it is her bed time. she has bad posture right now and just stands there kinda hunched.

Have you checked her closely for mites or lice? Blue comb indicates she is not getting enough oxygen into her blood or not getting enough blood circulated. Pneumonia in lungs ( raspiness/cough) means oxygen not getting into blood. Bugs mean she is being bled so much that there isn't enough blood in her to circulate. Two totally different cures for these totally different problems.
We need more info.

I just took a couple of magnifying glasses and inspected her the best I could ( on her feather and down under them) She is pretty thick feathered.
From the best I can tell she does not have bugs, I am gonna check again, but I saw no sighns of blackness or mold looking stuff under her wings or anything. no little bugs of anykind, I dug around in her feathers and she didn't seem to mind. Any pointers on specific places to look at on her orways to check I would appreciate.

She did Poop while she was alone, unfortunatly she must have moved around a bit and she decided to poo mostly in the water bowl so I cant get a pic of the poo that was in the dish.
What I did get from it is that there was not a bit of blood! It looks a bit watery, It has some white in it and some dark brown in it. I didn;t see anything alarming though... Here are a couple of pics of what was not in the dish (camera reflects off water and cant get pic, most of the poo was in the dish.
Please let me know any more information I could give that may help...
Her breathing seems ok to me, she seems to be breathing quietly, but she is squated down sleeping now..
Thank you for the responses.
71jiw5.jpg

34y9v0w.jpg

Last edited:
Sometimes heart failure may be the underlying problem if it was not cocci, or respiratory diseases or anything like that. Once heart failure comes into play, its only a matter of time when the heart has to work harder and something genetic went wrong. No amount of money can save a bird from heart failure.

Quote:
Do you think this sounds like a case of heart problem? As I mentioned I cannot see any sighn of a respritory problem, she is not breathing hard or wheezing or anything like that. I am not real familiar with cocci (never had a chicken get it) however froom what I read there is often blood in the Poo, I did not see one bit of blood in the Poo.
As mentioned earlier her heart did seem to be beeting kinda fast. We also gave her a bit of scrambled eggs which she seemed to like.

Last edited:
I'm just new at this, but had a big healthy Orp hen 8 months old, with similar symptoms last week, after especially cold weather: Blue comb, lethargic, feathers looked straggly, and seemed cold. I brought her in overnight where she could be warm and on second day, she perked right up. I think she may have just gotten over-chilled. I checked for illness, parasites, but didn't find any. Once she was eating well on a warmer day, I put her back out. She seems ok.

Good luck.

Thank you very much for your reply, I am REALLY hopeing that she will snap out of it.

-My girlfriend got her some plain yogurt today, however she did not seem to like it and only ate about 2 bites.
-She seems to eat crumbles ok out of our hand or cup, however does not seem to eat out of her bowl.
-Checked Poo today and it seems the same, a bit watery, but not a bit of blood.
-Her condition seems about the same, breathing ok, when I pet her she will make little chicken noises. Still very lethargic.
-She is from this spring, so approx. 8 mon. old also.
-The other 6 girls in her pen as well as the 2 EE's in another pen all seem to be doing fine, I am checking on them as often as I can to make sure this is not spreading.
I will keep updateing you guys, thanks again for all the reply's. This is our first illness in 2 years of haveing them and my G/F is really bent outta shape.

Back
Top Bottom