blue wheaten ameraucana

Fiona394

Chirping
Mar 27, 2017
Nova Scotia
My Coop
My Coop
Can you sex this breed of chicks? They are a week old and I read you can’t feather sex them. One chicks wing feathers are a bit lighter and it’s smaller than the other three chicks which makes me think I have 3 boys and 1 girl.

Attachments

• 1A28810D-0DA0-49FF-9CB4-075D389B87F6.jpeg
    1A28810D-0DA0-49FF-9CB4-075D389B87F6.jpeg
    508.2 KB · Views: 24
You can generally determine the gender of Wheaten birds before their comb and wattles begin developing. :) Keep an eye on their chest and shoulders - if the feathers coming in are black, you have a cockerel. If they're red/strawberry blonde, you have a pullet. :D

~Alex

You can generally determine the gender of Wheaten birds before their comb and wattles begin developing. :) Keep an eye on their chest and shoulders - if the feathers coming in are black, you have a cockerel. If they're red/strawberry blonde, you have a pullet. :D

~Alex
3 if my chicks have dark brown coming in on their wings and 1 on them has light brown like blonde so I think I have 3 Roos and a pullet.thanks

Whoops, I completely forgot yours are Blue Wheatens, and what I was describing is characteristic of Wheatens. :rolleyes: Silly me! I'd say shoulders and chest will be solid blue rather than black.
You can't always accurately go on wings, even pullets show some dark areas. :) Best to wait until more feathers grow in. :D

~Alex

Wheatens (and blue Wheatens) are easy to sex by coloring, once they are about 3 to 4 weeks of age. Only females will feather in with that creamy wheaten color on the chest. Black/blue chest feathers means male. Splash are a bit more difficult, because males will have pale chest feathers. With those, it's the dark red patches on the shoulders that will indicate cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom