Blue Wyandotte Rose Combs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BeardedLadyFarm, Oct 24, 2009.

1. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Do all Wyandottes have a rose comb, and do all rose combs have the little spur growing back?

I have two 24 week old blue Wyandottes who have very red combs, but aren't getting the "spur." (My 22 week SWL is developing it)

One looks like a wide pea comb, and the other is less wide, but has always had a little pointy bump on the top of the comb.

They're big and fluffy, much larger than my SLW of the same age. Just curious if I should expect an egg until the comb is complete.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    I have not worked with rose combs but it has been my experience that when the comb matches the color of the wattles the girl should be getting ready to lay. You may want to bump up the light to 12-14 hours and see what happens. The days are getting shorter and this may effect their ability to lay. Some birds are more sensitive to light changes than others.

You will have to put a light with a timer in your coop if you can.

The comb on a bird takes time to develop. I believe the combs will change some as they get older. All rose combs are not the same so you will get variation. Your birds most likely have rose combs on the small side. Wyandottes can have single combs but then they become non wyandottes because of the flaw. I have some single combed birds in my flock.

Tim

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  3. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Thanks Tim!

I have the girls on 14 hours of light, so I should be covered there. My BO started laying this week, and EE the week before. They're about 3 weeks older than their Wyandotte "sisters."

I was saying my morning "hello" to the chickens today, one of the Wyandottes gave me an unmistakable squat, so I'm guessing eggs are just around the corner. Their faces are super red too, so I guess their combs will just develop when they're good and ready!

Bailey

4. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    The rose comb on a wyandotte will not look like that of a rosecomb bantam. It should come to a point but should follow the curve of the head and not stick up.

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I don't know where your Wyandottes came from, but I have hatchery quality GLW's and they have combs that vary widely. I have two with combs exactly like the two you have pictured even with the funny little spur in the back. I also have one with a single comb. I thought that one was a boy for the longest time because of the obvious difference in the comb. (I was a newbie back then.)

tadkerson- if a single combed Wyandotte is not a Wyandotte because of the flaw, what is she?

6. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    I believe the bird is considered a non-Standard Wyandotte because the comb type does not conform to the Standard of Perfection.

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:Thanks. You learn something new every day.

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    There was a thread the other day and LOTS of people had pics of their single-combed wyandottes. It must not be that rare of an occurance. Why does that happen? Were they crossed with something for color way back when?

Nice blue hens, BTW!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  9. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    I believe that Cochins were used in the foundation of the breed.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've had single combs pop up in my blue laced reds and my silver laced, but never in my blues. There is some thinking that a single comb will help with fertility, but I honestly don't know it that is really true or not.

As to the OP's question.....I've never had any of mine start laying until the whole comb was a uniform red.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by