Blueberries?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chicken boy sam, Jul 2, 2010.

1. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    So, just for fun, I thought about growing some blueberries. I decided to get some blueberries and put them in a pot with soil. Do you think they'll grow??????

2. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    I have several blueberries bushes. And I have learned with all veggies they dont do well in pots. Blueberries also get big....so I would set them out in a place with full sun. Also get two varieties so they pollinate well. BARREDBUFF.

3. chicken boy sam

Dec 21, 2009
    Do you think it will work? Just the normal blueberries from the store in pots? The pots are just to start them in.....

4. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    If you just want to see if the seeds will sprout, I suppose you could do it. If you are wanting to have berries to eat down the road, I wouldn't waste my time starting from berries. Native blueberries are quite small, and some are virtually tasteless (there are dozens of native bushes in our woods). The berries in the store are carefully bred cultivars (that means cultivated varieties) and won't come true from seed. There are surely some cultivars that will do well in your area, not all kinds do well everywhere (check with local nurseries - they will know what should grow well for you). It's possible that you could put a lot of time and effort into this, and end up with nothing to show for it. On the other hand, every cultivar started out as a seedling for somebody, there's a chance you could get lucky!

Just as a point of interest, quite a number of popular cultivars were developed at a research station a couple of miles from my home - this is blueberry country!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  5. chicken boy sam

Dec 21, 2009
    Cool!!! If it works, that would be great. We'll see how it goes.......how long should it take?

6. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

what you probably want to do is to get the little seeds out, let them dry for a few days, then try to grow them. I've done it with apple seeds and lemon seeds and lime seeds.... not with blueberries though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by