Blues or Lavs?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by deineria, May 28, 2011.

1. deineria

deineria Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    [​IMG]
    I bought these as hatching eggs here on BYC as a mixed of Blue, Lav, Splash and Black Orpingtons - but I can't tell if most of those are blue or lav?

2. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    I think maybe lavender, i'm not sure.

3. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    the lavs will be light to dark gray with yellow bellys.the blues are much darker look more like blacks then lavs you have some very pretty chicks.looks like a nice mix in there congrats

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  4. Irregardless

Irregardless Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    For what it's worth (which probably isn't much, lol), my blacks and blues were pretty much the same color. The blacks were, as one would assume, black... and the blues were a dark-ish gray. The older they got the more black or blue they became.

Out of the 8 I had none of them were light like those.

5. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    nice mix of all 3 colors ya got going [​IMG]

6. deineria

Aug 3, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    Are any of these splash?

7. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    who ever you got them from.. keep their name .. I really like the chicks you got and a great varity of color..
    good job )O(
    Pink

8. deineria

Aug 3, 2010
    Huntington, WV
  9. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    Looks like you might have a mix of all 3 colors. My splash's were more of a silvery light Gray and my Blue's almost black. They are going to be beautiful birds!

10. Tony

Tony Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    Quote:You SHOULD have an assortment of blues,blacks,lavs,splash and even cuckoo. My white orps carry the cuckoo gene. The cuckoos I beleive will be a dark grey color. Lavs are lightish grey. Blues are well...blueish lol Splash would probably be the lightest color out of the bunch. Almost leaning towards white colored at this age.
    I`m just going by my own experiences with these. I could end up being WAYYYY off on the colors. But, if it helps at all, I will be just as surprised with the colors as everyone else eventually when they all mature. lol
    Good luck and keep us posted with pics as they grow. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by