Bluing for Algae Reduction

Thanks to all who replied. Will not use the bluing. Will continue to use apple cider vinegar since it helps to cut down the speed in which algae grows. Waterers are shaded at all times to keep the water cooler. My ducks drink from the same nipple waterer as the chickens so need to be careful about the amount of copper in the water so copper pennies won't be used either.

Zoos working with captive breeding programs of endangered wild birds add green food coloring to the water intended for newly hatched chicks. It seems that green algae colored water is preferred by many birds and that their young recognize "GREEN" water for what it is, which is water. This cuts down on chick drowning deaths.

I do find it strange that to supposedly reduce the incidence of algae in your chickens water that people are perfectly willing and even eager to add unfiltered apple cider vinegar that is teaming with nematodes called vinegar ells to their chickens' water.

If ACV is so great for your flock, then why isn't anyone giving their hens kombucha to drink instead of water?

Thanks to all who replied. Will not use the bluing. Will continue to use apple cider vinegar since it helps to cut down the speed in which algae grows. Waterers are shaded at all times to keep the water cooler. My ducks drink from the same nipple waterer as the chickens so need to be careful about the amount of copper in the water so copper pennies won't be used either.

Do the ducks also have a deep water source where they can dunk at least their nares?

Back
Top Bottom