1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BO/Ameraucana Egg

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Danniro, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Danniro

Danniro Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2014
    Just wanted to post a picture of my BO/Ameraucana's first egg in case anyone was interested in this mix. The picture doesn't really do it justice, but it came out a nice khaki color. She's laid 2 more eggs since and they were about the same size and color, so they're not the largest eggs. Actually though, today my dad found 1 egg, then a couple hours later I found an egg in the same spot, same size and color. Maybe just a glitch?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Wow, that's a nice color. I learned that when you take a blue egg chicken and a brown egg chicken that they blend making greenish eggs like this. Since there are many shades of brown egg in chickens wouldn't it be a different color?

3. Danniro

Jun 3, 2014
    Thanks. You mean other eggs laid wouldn't be the same color?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  4. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    It all depends on the shade of the brown egg, I was wondering if you had a light brown if it was different than let's say a Maran's egg. Which is true and Americauna crossed with a Maran makes an Olive egger.

5. Danniro

Jun 3, 2014
    I'm not sure I fully understand you...I've never own mixed breed chickens before (unless sex links count) but my chickens have never had a significant variation in their egg color. So I'd assume the same would go for mixed breed chickens too.
    But I don't know what color her mom's (Ameraucanna) eggs were and the BO was the dad, sooo...
    Also I thought Ameraucana's/Easter Eggers laid blue and green eggs. I always assumed for Ameraucana's it could be blue or green.

6. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    EE's do carry the blue egg gene, though some hens will lay brown or white, instead. I had a hen that was a BO/EE mix too, and she laid the most lovely olive eggs :) I ended up giving her to my mom, who loves her.

So far as finding two eggs in the same day, it's possible that one could have been from the day before. It's also possible that she laid them on the same day, if she's just starting to get in the groove of laying. It happens.

7. Danniro

Jun 3, 2014
    Hasn't happened since so I guess it was just a one time thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by