BO hasnt molted & weird black dots under chin

WalnutTree

Songster
Jun 26, 2020
WA Seattle
My BO hen ginger (1 1/2yrs) hasnt molted this winter like her sisters.
She has odd black dots under her chin that concern me as well. I give them black sunflower seeds for extra protein and feed them crushed oyster grit for calcium.
She doesnt like her chin being touched.
What should i do?

I can get closer photos tomorrow if needed.

Attachments

• 20230129_120044.jpg
    20230129_120044.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 4
I see some black spots on the other hen's comb that look like fowl pox but I haven't seen it manifest in dots as in Ginger's case so wait for more expert opinions. If it is, don't worry. Dry fowl pox is very common and you can just wait it out with a closed flock for a couple months in my experience. Usually the black scabs are all you see and your chickens carry on as if nothing is happening. But like I said, wait for expert opinions.

She has odd black dots under her chin that concern me as well.
Have you tried wiping those dots off?
They're not moving are they?
Might want to do a full bug check.

I give them black sunflower seeds for extra protein
That's going to give more extra ft than protein...might want to back off on those.

Alright I'll stay off those seeds. I have tried wiping them off with just my finger and they didnt move. In a few minutes I'll check it out more closely. Every week i check around their vents and feet as well as the coop for any infestations. I havent seen anything. I do have Diatomaceous earth if that would help i can dust down the coop with it.
Their bedding in the run and coop is all sand.

"I do have Diatomaceous earth if that would help i can dust down the coop with it."
It won't.

I wouldn't worry about the specks under her beak, just keep an eye on them.

I looked closer and it looks like feathers are coming up from some of the black spots. They dont move at all. Tried popping on

Back
Top Bottom