BO Out of lay

MAT10

In the Brooder
Aug 25, 2023
Utah
My BO is about 18 months old & has stopped laying all of September. NOT broody. Neck feather loss (possibly molt?) But not too bad. My LO is definitely in molt & lays regularly (every other day). Is my BO okay & how can I help her?
She was my pasty butt as a chick & had a couple of heat stress treatments this past summer. She acts pretty normal, eats, drinks, pecks, busy but recently gave her a couple of drench treatments for a pale comb (worked).
Just no eggs....

I have 2 BO 2.5 years old. One of them laid nearly everyday from 5 months until 15 months old then stopped. Laid 2 eggs this summer (we only have 3 birds so I know who laid what) and has stopped again. She’s healthy except for being overweight, just doesn’t lay 😭
As the shorter days of winter come in, most chickens will molt then stop laying until spring. I hate buying eggs at Publix.

What kind of drench?

At her age she probably has stopped laying and has started molting.
Common for pale combs during that time, only laying birds have bright red combs.
It's Poultry Nutri Drench I bought at TSC.

My BO is about 18 months old & has stopped laying all of September. NOT broody. Neck feather loss (possibly molt?) But not too bad. My LO is definitely in molt & lays regularly (every other day). Is my BO okay & how can I help her?
She was my pasty butt as a chick & had a couple of heat stress treatments this past summer. She acts pretty normal, eats, drinks, pecks, busy but recently gave her a couple of drench treatments for a pale comb (worked).
Just no eggs....
UPDATE: Well, here we are in November....still no eggs from my Buff "Twinkie". 😭
Otherwise, happy & healthy. If she molted, its been VERY soft. Only changes I see in her is that occasionally she recently investigates the nesting boxes again, like before her first lay AND not quite as friendly....doesn't submit- she runs😲😂 she was one of our sweetest & most friendly hens.
Oh, did I mention still feeding her with no return? 😭
P.S. Checked her vent & it looks round & more tight, but clean. Assuming that is normal for out of laying hen???
Will I get eggs again from her... Someday?

UPDATE: Well, here we are in November....still no eggs from my Buff "Twinkie". 😭
Otherwise, happy & healthy. If she molted, its been VERY soft. Only changes I see in her is that occasionally she recently investigates the nesting boxes again, like before her first lay AND not quite as friendly....doesn't submit- she runs😲😂 she was one of our sweetest & most friendly hens.
Oh, did I mention still feeding her with no return? 😭
P.S. Checked her vent & it looks round & more tight, but clean. Assuming that is normal for out of laying hen???
Will I get eggs again from her... Someday?
She's just in winter break, it's normal

Yes, you should get more eggs - 2nd year, the eggs will be a bit bigger, but slightly less often. Each year, a larger egg, but less of them. Each year, the non-laying time is longer.

This is why, getting chicks each year, keeps people in eggs. Young birds 'tend' to, kind of, sort of, almost always lay through the dark winter days...but not everyday.

Back
Top Bottom