BO question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Morgan7782, May 27, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    How do BO handle warmer climates? I live in Sacramento, CA and it gets about 112/118 are the HOTTEST temps in the summer I think. How do they handle it? I am interested in this breed and would like to get some owners input.

2. HennyJenny

HennyJenny Songster

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    My two adult BOs are big girls. July and August were tough for them last year. As long as they have access to shade and adequate water and adequate coop ventilation though - they are fine. They are friendly and have great personality!

3. tammyd57

tammyd57 Songster

My BO's handle the heat real well, and we have similar climates. We get some real scorching summers that seem to last forever. (110+ for months)
    Lots of shade, lots of coop ventilation (my BO coop is a 3-sided coop), and I spray down the whole pen with the hose in the hottest part of the day. They LOVE the hose! Like kids playing in the sprinkler! [​IMG]

4. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Always place your hotter climate birds in the shade. Misting them down will help cool them. But having birds in shade creates an atmosphere up to 15 degrees cooler. I have heavy feathered breeds (brahmas, cochins) here in FL, and all mine do very well as long as they are housed under shade. It not only gets hotter than down under (I mean waaaay down under, not Aussie under) but it's humid here as well. I've never had a heavy feathered breed have any unmanageable issues of keeping them comfortable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by