BO with habitually pale comb- should I be concerned?

MgnRose

Songster
Jun 16, 2019
Portland, Oregon
Blanche, one of my 3 year old BOs, has always had a pale comb off and on her entire life. In my experience, this typically has to do with illness or dehydration. The interesting thing is, her comb will be pale on cool days and even after encouraging her to drink, stays pale.

I purchased her at a feed store (in a small town- unsure of the hatchery) because she was THE LAST chick left in her tub and I have a soft spot for the underdogs/ unwanted animals. She was just too pitiful not to take!

My question is: could this be genetic or is there an underlying condition I am unaware of? My flock gets dewormed and treated for mites when needed. In the time I have had her, I have only had to deworm once and have treated for scaly leg mites. Health inspections of vent and feathers have yielded no clues except for when treatment was necessary (she did not exhibit symptoms of worms, but she did have scaly leg mites- caught early). She lays regularly- beautiful light brown eggs with a pinkish bloom and small red speckles.

I am at a compete loss! Has anyone else had a healthy lady who perpetually had a pale comb?

MgnRose

Songster
Jun 16, 2019
Portland, Oregon
Thank you for your reply! It’s interesting because it varies from light red to pale pink, even when she’s fertile and laying 5 eggs a week. I’ve just never had a chicken with such a pale comb!

Top Bottom