BO X BR cross: pullet or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Amy's Animals, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Amy's Animals

Amy's Animals Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    So far we've had 3 chicks from the same parents, the dad is a Buff Orp and the mom a Barred Rock. 2 of the chicks are darkbrown with a lightbrown belly, sides, cheeks, around the eyes, chin and with a faint white-ish spot on the throat. The remaining one chick was mostly black with some lighter points and a white throat, cheeks, and around the eyes. Which ones are the boys and which are the girls? * no pics available at this moment, only pics that will be available are from the darkbrown ones, the black/white one we gave away* If possible, please post pics of your BO x BR cross chicks for comparison. Thanks [​IMG]

2. doublebow

doublebow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    Here is a BO/Dominique cross. Do you have a picture of yours?
    [​IMG]
    This is a pullet by the way.

3. Amy's Animals

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    My chickie is still little, it hatched yesterday, Ill take a pic tomorow but indeed, she looks a lot like her colorwise, just fluffier and no feathers, do you know what the roosters look like?

4. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    Your roo chicks will be barred and your hen chicks won't be. Barring is sex linked, and hens pass it on to their sons.

5. Amy's Animals

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I understand that, Turtlefeathers,but this is a day old chick, how can I tell? Like I mentioned before, there was one chick that was black with a white spot under it's throat, would that be a roo then?

6. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    I would say the black with the white spot is probably a male. This is a gold male gene silver female gene cross. Should be a sex-link cross.

7. doublebow

Aug 13, 2009
    My pullet started out gray. I forgot to say that. I thought the males would have a white spot on the top of their head. I didn't get a male out of this cross, so I don't know first-hand.

8. Amy's Animals

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    none of the 3 had a white spot on top of their head but we've still got 1 egg to go, due next Sunday, so we'll see what that is..it does seem kind of strange to me that all 3 would be pullets, out of a single hen!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Lucky you!
    I'm 4 roos for 4 eggs with my Welsummers so far. Thank goodness for BYC, was able to find them some girls [​IMG]

BTW- I love BO crosses. All of mine seemed to have the nice Orp personality and big fluffy butts.

10. doublebow

Aug 13, 2009
    I know what you mean, that little pullet in the pic is my favorite. She is nine weeks old now and so pretty! And I have three BO/RIR crosses. Even the little roo has very fluffy pants!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by