Bobcat took three hens. Anyone know how to tan a bobcat? < Graphic. >

Quote:
Thats the way to do it. Crack open the skull, mash the brains into a paste and cover the flesh side of the skin. Can't remember how long to let it cure, but you have to scrap the skin first.

Quote:
I shoot them with bird shot up close and fox too and the fur buyers keep buying them here last year I average $75 a pelt here our cats fur is really flat the fox pelts are much nicer

wow. Average $300 here but we have some really nice pelts

I don't know if you are still looking for advice but... I would just take it to a taxidermist... we usually just bring the whole cat in, but since you have already skinned it all the taxidermist needs to do is flesh it and tan it or send it out to be tanned... it shouldn't cost more than $100, I would think more like $75. The at home kits are fine if you feel like messing with it(I love F&T). I don't know what your local taxidermist charge but last fall I brought in a skinned coon and a skinned bear(skull still in hide) to tan and it was $290 total... $40 for the coon $250 for the bear... and if you go by general size that bobcat is alot closer to the coon than the bear...

Nice cat anyway, that is a good size for a female. I didn't see where you are located, but up here (Upper Michigan) ours are alot darker, not quite as flashy, the females seem to be prettier than the males...but ours also can get a lot bigger, we got 2 a few years back that were around 48lbs and 51 or 52 lbs. they were massive, but also very uncommon usually our males are about 35 lbs.-maybe 40lbs. I got a big male hanging around the area... I saw him a few months back just standing on the road in the middle of the day, so far he has been a good cat, but I got a new dog and I am itching for bobcat season to start...

Anyways if you do decide to get it mounted, a good taxidermist can do wonders with holes... (most people use shotguns up here, I use a .22 behind the ear) I have seen bears with holes the size of a grapefruit in them and the taxidermist fixed em up. I love the bobcat rugs, especially with all that white... that person with the picture in Texas? has a beautiful one... we have one rug but like I said our cats are not as flashy... Glad you got that cat before she got too many more of your birds!

Another thing that may be a problem is the condition of the hair itself, up here our seasons don't start until winter because that is when the hair is in its best condition, in the summer it may not be, and this could cause problems tanning it(hair loss).

And I was thinking about the broken canines, possibly that cat was caught in a leg hold trap at one time and she was biting at it trying to get free... just a guess,

Last edited:
Easiest way with local store bought materials is with salt and alum. Bring one gallon of water to a boil and dissolve 1/2 pound of alum into the hot water. Add one gallon hot tap water after alum is dissolved and add at least a pound of salt- more if it all dissolves...you cannot add too much salt! Pour mixture into a large plastic or ceramic container (five gallon plastic bucket is fine).....

Thaw the hide and scrape all of the flesh and connective tissue from the skin. Split the lips and remove all cartilage from inside the nose pad. Split the eyelids and turn the ears to remove the cartilage. A dulled flat bladed screw driver will help with the ear reversal. Spread the hide on a slanted board, fur side down, and spread stock salt or kosher salt or other medium coarse salt over the skin to pull moisture from the tissues. Repeat salting to pull additional moisture from the pelt. When the pelt is nearly dry, wash off the salt in a solution of 1/2 cup borax, 1/4 cup dawn and two gallons of cool water. Rinse thoroughly and completely in clean water and when sure the soap is gone from the hide, place it into the alum salt pickle you prepared by following the above steps.

Move the hide around once a day in the pickle and make sure that it is completely immersed. A brick may be placed on top to insure it remains soaking, if desired. Leave in the solution for about two weeks, making sure you agitate and turn it daily. You can check the edges for a complete tan by making a small cut with a sharp knife. When the hide is tanned, it will be white through and through.

When the skin is completely white, remove from the pickle, rinse well in warm water and then soak in a bath of warm water with 1/2 cup of borax and one tablespoon of Dawn added for each gallon of water added. The hide will be stiff when it is first removed from the alum pickle. Soaking for a time in the borax water will soften it.

You will need to break the hide if you intend it to be soft and flexible. This is done by rubbing Protal or Neat's foot oil into the hide and by breaking it over a rounded dull edge. If you have no breaking edge available, a dull axe head can be clamped in a vise and used for the purpose. After the initial breaking, the hide should be tacked fur side down on a plywood sheet, stretching, but not too much, as you tack around the edges. Be careful of the hair arrangement as you tack so that it isn't reversed or bent in the process. Tacks or nails should be about two inches apart and just hold the skin taught, but not tight. A couple of layers of cardboard laid between the hide and the board will help the drying process.

When the hide is nearly dry, remove from the tack board and reapply oil and break until it is the softness you desire.

The alum process is as old as they come, and it is time consuming if you desire a soft pelt for hanging or rugging. The reason I outlined it is that it is effective, and can be done with locally purchased materials.

Good luck hope you have some pics when its done. An added comment. You can use a needle and thread and sew the holes closed. I use dental floss after the hide is has been cured but still wet from the rinsing. You'll never see the holes from the fur side.

Last edited:
I remember using that acid that you find in hardware store to cure rabbit hides. It was so much work! Never again LOL! I still have those rabbit skins wrapped up in cedar paper.

I think if I remember....it started with MUR.... Acid. I dont think you can find them anymore.

My friend saves the heads from her annual hog roasts. She just buries the whole head and digs it up the next year and throws the new one in the whole. The worms do the work for her.

Bobcat are not nocturnal and hunt both in daylight hours as well as after dark. I've seen adults with their young during the day as well as pairs moving about most often early in the day. I range my chickens so there is always that chance they will become victims to them.

Back
Top Bottom