Bobcat watching the ducks in pond

Yes they will take a duck in the water, they will sneak along the back side of the reeds and pounce on them when the time is right, if the duck goes into the water the cat will still try to take it.

I have LSG dogs and they are great , but when it is dark, they could not see the cat behind the reeds across the pond so they would get the duck, but the last two time my dog did save my ducks because i cleared around the edge of the pond and keep my pastures cut close, now my dogs can see the cat and i have not lost any more ducks.

Ducks are safe in the water if they know where the hunter is, i have watched mine dive under the water and pop up 20 feet away when my aussie dog tried to herd them in the pond, poor dog get so confused.

PS the only training my dogs have is basic obedience and that chicks were not food.

The instinct to guard kicked in with all my dogs around a year of age and i have 6 here they are spread out into groups of their own choosing some work at night some in the day,some are by the house ,some will be out by the barn, some may be layed up on the hill in the woods or in the pasture,my dogs seem to know when we have citters in a different area snooping around cause they move around too ...

Last edited:
Zazouse, that sounds ideal in terms of a dog guardian scenario. I considered A Maremma before the Catahoula found me, though I have heard they work best in pairs. 2. 90 lb.plus dogs is a lot of feed. It still fits best for my low impact lifestyle, but a year is a long time to wait with the girls unprotected. Anyhow, sounds like a good set up you have got. I have cut back trees and shrubs in hopes of the ducks seeing the predator early, removed reeds to allow a water perimeter. Do Guard dogs stay near water?

Quote:
Pyrs don't eat as much as you would think, mostly because they are an inactive dog. In other words, they like to conserve energy and lay around a lot. Our female goes through about 40 pounds of Diamond Naturals a month, supplemented with table scraps. Maremmas are good dogs, and I would think that being slightly smaller they would eat let food.

Our dog enjoys wading along the ponds edge, especially when it is really hot out.

I must admit that I was surprised that our Great Pyrenees stays around the farm and doesn't wander. I hear so many negative things about them wandering, but have not experienced that personally. It was only a couple weeks ago that she "found" her bark, so she is now coming of age.

Last edited:
Shoot it!! You will loose ducks eventually. A .22 rifle with a good scope will do the trick. You will be sorry if you do not. I know this seems harsh, but I have had problems with predators in the past and this is the only permanent solution.

I know we have bobcats in the neighborhood we have seen them in our yard. As well as coyotes, hawks, vutures, owls, etc... At night we lock all the ducks and chickens up so we dont worry so much at night but during the day we let the dogs wonder the property and we havent had any issues. We have only had the chickens and ducks for a little over a month but the dogs seem to really help. We have 5 dogs, 3 miniature pinschers, 1 german shepherd/boxer and 1 aussie/husky and they only have minor obedience training nothing professionally only us making them sit, lay down, stay from day 1 so they listen pretty well. I was worried to introduce them at first but was very surprised to see how well they do. Now I can go in the pen and leave the door open and the dogs go in with me and even climb up into the coops and dont bother them. They are more interested in smelling the ground and eating stuff off the ground. The only time some of the dogs seemed interested in them is when I was trying to catch 1 of the hen's and they all got scared and were running and that encouraged my little miniature pinschers to want to chase them...

Back
Top Bottom