Bobwhite Eggs Not Hatching

sschicks1245

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2020
Hi, I have 1 male and 1 female bobwhite quail that are regularly laying eggs, and I've been collecting them and putting them in an incubator. It is difficult to adjust temperature/humidity or completely lockdown at 18 days because each egg is from a different day. Currently the temp is 99-100 and the humidity is around 65%. I have 25 eggs total so far. 2 eggs were supposed to hatch on the 11th and 2 eggs were supposed to hatch yesterday. I candled them before they went into lockdown and all were fertile with veins and a visible moving embryo, but they haven't hatched. They haven't even pipped yet. I've done lots of research, but this is my first time incubating eggs. Every website says a different humidity to use and also my eggs are on their sides (not big side up like some websites say) because I have been hand turning them 5x a day until "lockdown". I have also been so careful not to contaminate them. Why haven't my eggs pipped yet? Is there anything I can do? Thank you so much for your help!

You might like to save this that I got from GQF 9B0F4837-4832-4B06-8983-447A29DC7976.png

Please don't set eggs like this again in the future.
Just collect the eggs for a few days and set them all at the same time at once.

Please don't set eggs like this again in the future.
Just collect the eggs for a few days and set them all at the same time at once.
Okay, but if they are only laying 1 egg per day and I only have one incubator I'm not sure how else to do it. You are only supposed to store them for up to 7 days. Does this mean all of the eggs in my incubator will not hatch? I'm not sure what to do to save them. Do I have to buy another incubator? Make one the locked down incubator?? Please help

Okay, but if they are only laying 1 egg per day and I only have one incubator I'm not sure how else to do it. You are only supposed to store them for up to 7 days. Does this mean all of the eggs in my incubator will not hatch? I'm not sure what to do to save them. Do I have to buy another incubator? Make one the locked down incubator?? Please help
I have no idea if any of the eggs are going to hatch in your incubator.

Have you ever hatched anything before?
Do you have a calibrated thermometer, at least one, in your incubator and has your humidity gauge been salt tested?

If the answer is no, start there, get them all before setting eggs again.

Bobwhite's have a 24 day incubation period, not 18 days.
Staggard hatches are hard for an experienced hatcher, much less a 1st timer.
Collect the eggs for a week, set them, then collect for another week before you set anymore...setting 1 egg everyday or every other day is a disaster waiting to happen. Even with a 7 day separation in time of setting can become a complete nightmare.

A better plan would be to set the first eggs, wait until they hatch, then set another batch. Multiple incubators isn't feasible for so few eggs.
@Kiki has given you some excellent advice on thermometers and hygrometers, so I won't bore you with repeating her advice.

Back
Top Bottom