bobwhite laying question...?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sniper338, Feb 17, 2014.

1. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have all my birds in the same shed... a few coturnix have started laying though not all of them... only 3 are laying...

Question is my bobs are exposed to the same 14-15 hours of light a day too... but not once have they laid... they will be a year old come this summer time so this year is their first year already.... they were born july-ish 2012. I was just wondering if the light should make them lay too? The males ive noticed havent gone to pooping with white foam yet where its no doubt they are in the "mood".. like the coturnix do when they are "single and ready to mingle". The bobs are paired off 1:1 are get along so far... I just would have thought they would lay by now...

The bobs are much more wild so I dont know if they stay stressed or not... they talk to each other a lot though, way more social birds.. just wondering though... coturnix raising is my main deal so im not worried either way... the bobs are going to go to freezer camp down the road anyways to make room... still make me curious though...

2. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    my bobs do better with natural light most bobs I have worked with seem to be photo resistant

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

When you are lighting bobs to make them lay, having a quiet stress free night cycle is as important as providing the light. Whats going on at night?

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Many bobs will not start laying or breeding well into spring in their first year, no matter what you do for them. You can add some light in hopes of them laying early, but generally you have to wait till late spring before you get eggs on their first year. Every year after however, they start to breed and lay earlier and earlier each year.

5. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Im not too worried anyways... I was just wondering

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by