Bobwhite Quail questions...

Ganks

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2020
Hello I had a few questions I wanted to see if someone could help answer for me. My wife and I have recently got into our first attempt at raising some Quail. She has been interested in this for a while now and a couple weeks back I surprised her bye ordering her a Incubator and some Georgia Giant bobwhite fertile Quail eggs. We have made it into lock down and should have some of our first babies starting to peep very soon. It is very exciting.

When I ordered the Georgia Giant bobwhite quail eggs I honestly had no idea the different types of quail besides that we live in Tennessee and there are not a limit on the amount of Bobwhites we are allowed to keep and they seemed to be one of the few types we could get away with raising where we live on the edge of the city limits. We have some really annoying neighbors not to far from us that work for Codes and reports anyone in our area for the slightest infraction so we have to make sure we stay on top of that.

My main question is how do the different breeds of bobwhites do raising up together. I read somewhere that Northern Bobwhites and Tennessee Reds can only raise up together if they are in near even numbers or the one with the most numbers will kill off the others, My question is how do the Georgia Giant bobwhites get along with Snowflake Bobwhites or other types of Bobwhites. Also if there are any tips you may have for a pair of noobs it is much appreciated. I am currently attempting to learn as much as I can on raising Quail and have read through a few books and watched countless videos.

Thanks in advanced for the help.
Ganks

I know zero about Bobwhites.

Are they just different color varieties?
If so I don't see there being a problem raising them together.

Hello I had a few questions I wanted to see if someone could help answer for me. My wife and I have recently got into our first attempt at raising some Quail. She has been interested in this for a while now and a couple weeks back I surprised her bye ordering her a Incubator and some Georgia Giant bobwhite fertile Quail eggs. We have made it into lock down and should have some of our first babies starting to peep very soon. It is very exciting.

When I ordered the Georgia Giant bobwhite quail eggs I honestly had no idea the different types of quail besides that we live in Tennessee and there are not a limit on the amount of Bobwhites we are allowed to keep and they seemed to be one of the few types we could get away with raising where we live on the edge of the city limits. We have some really annoying neighbors not to far from us that work for Codes and reports anyone in our area for the slightest infraction so we have to make sure we stay on top of that.

My main question is how do the different breeds of bobwhites do raising up together. I read somewhere that Northern Bobwhites and Tennessee Reds can only raise up together if they are in near even numbers or the one with the most numbers will kill off the others, My question is how do the Georgia Giant bobwhites get along with Snowflake Bobwhites or other types of Bobwhites. Also if there are any tips you may have for a pair of noobs it is much appreciated. I am currently attempting to learn as much as I can on raising Quail and have read through a few books and watched countless videos.

Thanks in advanced for the help.
Ganks
Most of my Bob's get along fine together...even the ones I have mixed with Blues but there is always the exception and sometimes arguments happen...to the point of separation to keep from having a blood bath.

I have owned bobwhites, but I don't have heaps of experience. I have read a lot about them though. I'm pretty sure they're just colour varieties and it would be no different to keeping normal bobwhites together. Some people have little trouble keeping multiple pairs together, but some people say that bobwhites are aggressive towards each other (especially in breeding season) and pairs have to be separated. I have successfully kept bobwhites, california quails and golden pheasants together. In general, people say they're aggresive, but it all depends on individual birds.

Appreciate all the helpful information. My Giants are on day 20 right now. I went ahead and ordered 12 snowflake and 12 butler fertile eggs that should be here right around the time my giants should be finishing up.

Back
Top Bottom