Bobwhite Question

rccrosby

Chirping
12 Years
May 6, 2010
Hi All!
I'm trying to hatch my 1st batch of bobwhite's i'm on day 23. 2 started to pip over 24 hrs ago.I say started because they cracked the shell and lifted it up some but the egg piece did not come off.Is it normal for them to go this long without any progress or are they in trouble?I'm worried because when i took out the ones not developing on day 10 the membrane was so tough i could barely crack them open.
I started with 9 eggs and am down to 5 ,i really want them to hatch.

i have hatched lots of chicks and never had this problem lol must be the 1st time quail mama jitters
wink.png

When they pip, it is normal for them to sit there for 24+ hours before hatching. It doesn't take much of the shell to be cracked for it to let in oxygen. During this time they are busy detaching from the inside of the egg and absorbing the last of the egg yolk. So if is very important that you do not intervene. Just let them be.

As for the thick membrane, this is one of the purposes behind high humidity at lock down. It helps to soften the shell and membrane so they can zip out. If it is too dry, yes the membrane and shell can be too tough to break out of.

So just let things be. Make sure your vents are wide open, humidity is up around 65% to 70% and just wait it out. They will zip out when they are ready!

Keep us posted! :)

thanks all. I'm still waiting.All 5 eggs have a pip now and 1 is starting to zip
celebrate.gif
i'm so excited

thanks all. I'm still waiting.All 5 eggs have a pip now and 1 is starting to zip
celebrate.gif
i'm so excited
Yay!! Once they start zipping, they don't stop. Watch and you can see them zip that line right across the top of the egg really fast!

All 5 hatched!!!!! I had to help one, he was stuck to the shell
hmm.png
. All are doing great. I can't believe how small they are and boy are they vocal lol thanks all

Yay!!! Congrats on the great hatch!! Yes, they are as tiny as bumble bees at hatch!!

Good luck with your babies and if you have any questions, you know where we are! :)

Back
Top Bottom