Bobwhites in Aviaries - Questions

bantyhen'sfriend

Songster
14 Years
Mar 22, 2009
Southern Wisconsin
I have been missing the calls of bobwhites in my neck of the woods for a while now, and I want to raise some. I am reluctant to put them on wire or in my coop, because I don't want to transfer disease to my chickens. I plan on building an aviary for them, and make it as predator proof as is possible. I have had some experience with bobs before, we raised a few for meat a couple of years ago, and I know how mean they can be to each other (cannibalism, we had to split the flock). I want to avoid this as much as possible, but would not hesitate to bit them (I don't want to debeak). I want to have only about 4 pair. I am willing to plant evergreen bushes and other natural plants as well as a few crops for them to mimic their natural habitat of fields and hedgerows.

Could all 4 pair be kept in one large (10'X10' or more?) aviary throughout the year, or would I have to separate them during the breeding season into smaller aviaries?

If they do raise their own chicks, would the other pairs kill the babies? Production is not priority for me, I just want to be able to watch them and hear them.

Also, would I need to put them in a pen in the barn over the winter, or could I group all the adults in an aviary outside so they could covey for the winter using only natural shelter?

Would the cold and snow be too much for them? I could cover their wintering aviary to keep most of the snow from falling in, would that make a difference?

What do I need to use to worm them? Would it affect their meat?

Thanks for putting up with the barrage of questions, I just want to cover all the bases before I get birds and find myself up a crick.

bantyhen'sfriend :

I have been missing the calls of bobwhites in my neck of the woods for a while now, and I want to raise some. I am reluctant to put them on wire or in my coop, because I don't want to transfer disease to my chickens. I plan on building an aviary for them, and make it as predator proof as is possible. I have had some experience with bobs before, we raised a few for meat a couple of years ago, and I know how mean they can be to each other (cannibalism, we had to split the flock). I want to avoid this as much as possible, but would not hesitate to bit them (I don't want to debeak). I want to have only about 4 pair. I am willing to plant evergreen bushes and other natural plants as well as a few crops for them to mimic their natural habitat of fields and hedgerows. DO NOT KEEP WITH CHICKENS

Could all 4 pair be kept in one large (10'X10' or more?) aviary throughout the year, or would I have to separate them during the breeding season into smaller aviaries? That will work

If they do raise their own chicks, would the other pairs kill the babies? NO, DO NOT DO THAT

Also, would I need to put them in a pen in the barn over the winter, or could I group all the adults in an aviary outside so they could covey for the winter using only natural shelter?They will be fine! Mine survived in -21 weather.

Would the cold and snow be too much for them? No
smile.png

What do I need to use to worm them? Would it affect their meat?

Thanks for putting up with the barrage of questions, I just want to cover all the bases before I get birds and find myself up a crick.​

You can keep them in an aviary, but not with chickens. They will do fine on wire, but an aviary is good too. They will be fine with that much space .As far as chicks go they usually won't go broody but it's possible. If they do just separate them. To worm them use pumpkin or apple cider vinegar. There is a thread about it on feeding and watering your flock. Just make sure they are kept out of the wind, rain, and free of drafts. BQL I thought someone corrected you about the pheasants, if I remember correctly it was 2*.

BobwhiteQuialLover, do you mean I should not let the birds rear chicks with other pairs in the same aviary, or that the other pairs will not harm the chicks?
smile.png
I am not too concerned with breeding, but I want to be prepared in case a hen decides to incubate a clutch. I am willing to separate the pairs if I must, or remove the chicks for brooding myself.

Robo, thanks for the info on the ACV.

bantyhen'sfriend :

BobwhiteQuialLover, do you mean I should not let the birds rear chicks with other pairs in the same aviary, or that the other pairs will not harm the chicks?
smile.png
I am not too concerned with breeding, but I want to be prepared in case a hen decides to incubate a clutch. I am willing to separate the pairs if I must, or remove the chicks for brooding myself.

Robo, thanks for the info on the ACV.

BQL he was asking about quail chicks, just separate the momma, she will have her own food water, ext. And no wrooies about the males killing them...​

Quote:
BQL he was asking about quail chicks, just separate the momma, she will have her own food water, ext. And no wrooies about the males killing them...

O! Sorry, you answered already anyways.

Could all 4 pair be kept in one large (10'X10' or more?) aviary throughout the year, or would I have to separate them during the breeding season into smaller aviaries? THIS SHOULD BE SUFFICIENT FOR 4 PAIR BUT PROBLEMS MAY ARISE DURING BREEDING..

If they do raise their own chicks, would the other pairs kill the babies? Production is not priority for me, I just want to be able to watch them and hear them. NOT TOO BROODY IN CAPTIVITY, HAPPENS SOME BUT SUCESSFUL FULL INCUBATION IN CAPTIVITY IS NOT COMMON, WHEN IT DOES HAPPEN ITS NORMALLY IN VERY NATURAL TYPE OF ENVIRONMENTS

Also, would I need to put them in a pen in the barn over the winter, or could I group all the adults in an aviary outside so they could covey for the winter using only natural shelter? SO LONG AS THEY HAVE WINDPROOF SHELTER THEY SHOULD BE FINE IN THE AVIARY

Would the cold and snow be too much for them? I could cover their wintering aviary to keep most of the snow from falling in, would that make a difference? NOT NECESSARY SO LONG AS THEY CAN BLOCK OR GET SHELTER FROM THE WIND

What do I need to use to worm them? Would it affect their meat WAZINE 17, OR PUMPKIN (RAW FRUIT)

Back
Top Bottom