Body checked eggs and now eating eggs

Jlkearns

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2019
I have 4 hens (2 buff orps and 2 red sexlinks) who are all about a year and a half old. They've all been laying regularly for many months, even all through winter. Recently one of my red sexlinks started laying body checked eggs, and now all of her eggs are like this. She's not ill, she's not behaving any differently and literally nothing has changed. Their coop is about 6 feet wide, 4 feet tall and deep. There are 4 nesting boxes even though they only use 2. They are fenced in and get to roam a third of our yard all day every day (which is good sized yard). No stressors. We don't get any predators or anything like that. In the last 3 days when I went to collect eggs, eggs are missing and yolk is in the nesting box. So, one is also eating eggs. We think we have it narrowed down to the hen that has been laying the body checked eggs. I do leave out a dish of oyster shell for them. I put a white golf ball in each nesting box. I still had an eaten egg this morning. Not sure what else to do - any advice?

Are you sure it's eating the egg verses laying a egg with no shell? Are you feeding high protein laying feed and limiting the treats?
The red specks of blood are generally harmless forming when the egg is forming in the reproductive tract and a tiny vessel breaks.

I suppose it could be eggs without a shell but the shells have never been weak or thin before, so I wouldn't think it's that. They are on a layer feed, and we don't give treats often. When we do, it's extra veggies we pulled from the garden.

yolk is in the nesting box. So, one is also eating eggs.
Odd that the yolk remains, usually that would get eaten up, is it intact or just a smear?
Could be the bird that is laying body checked egg has a shell gland glitch and is passing no shelled eggs.
Do you find the yolk in nest the same day you find body checked eggs?
I'd put out some oyster shell in a separate feeder, sprinkle some on the ground too.

Back
Top Bottom