Boiled eggs

tsmith7817

Chirping
Aug 3, 2018
Every time I boil some of my blue/green eggs they never come out right. Hard to peel and still soft. Any suggestions on what I can do? Or are my girls missing something in their diet? TIA

My experience is fresh eggs are hard to peel. Sometimes old eggs are hard to peel. I solved that by buying some of those silicon egg cookers on Amazon.
As far as them being still soft, how long are you cooking them? I cook mine in the silicon cookers, water already boiling, for 10 to 15 min, based on egg size.

Boil your oldest eggs, at least a week old, and they will be easier to peel. Also, put lots of salt in the water, and after about 12 minutes for large eggs, plunge them in ice water.
Interestingly, my bantam eggs are easily peel-able even the day they are laid. I do not know why.

Homegrown eggs are notorious for being hard to peel.
What I found that works/helps (for me at least):
1. I only boil eggs that are over a week old - closer to 2 weeks is better.
2. I use an egg timer that goes into the boiling water with the eggs.
upload_2018-9-11_16-32-0.png

3. As soon as the timer turns solid black, I drain off the boiling water and shake the pan to crack the egg shells all over.
4. Dump the eggs into a bowl of ice water.
5. Peel under water.
They still tend to be pretty ugly when I am done, but they are also really tasty.

I agree... fresh eggs are hard to peel! Not enough air gap. However... there is a trick to this!!! Works like a charm...
Use a pressure cooker for all of your hard boiled eggs (or at least the fresh ones!)
https://www.allrecipes.com/video/8106/pressure-cooker-hard-boiled-eggs/?internalSource=picture_play&referringId=237562&referringContentType=Recipe

Depending on your Pressure Cooker and personal preference, you can adjust... 7 min or slow release steam vs. quick release steam... also, how quickly they come out of pot and get cooled to adjust for more or less cooked HB eggs. Definitely experiment and find your favorite timing.

My experience is fresh eggs are hard to peel. Sometimes old eggs are hard to peel. I solved that by buying some of those silicon egg cookers on Amazon.
As far as them being still soft, how long are you cooking them? I cook mine in the silicon cookers, water already boiling, for 10 to 15 min, based on egg size.

Back
Top Bottom