boiled eggs

hetty

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
h everybody, sorry not sure where to put this question? when I hard boil mynewly layed eggs, I cant peel them, there seems to be an outer egg white bit that sticks to the shell? Does anyone else have that problem? is it to do with what i,m feeding them? any suggestions greatly rececived

The fact that they are soooo fresh, is why they are hard to peel. Do a search for hard boiled eggs, as there are so many posts on this subject. I use this recipe to make it easier. Eggs in a pot covered with water. Add 1/4 cup salt to the water. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 15 minutes covered. Immediately take off heat and add ice cubes and cold water- keep the water cold. Refrigerate or peel and use. Has worked every time to a "T"!
thumbsup.gif

HTH,
Lisa

cheers Lisa, thanks for your help, will give it go many thanks

Love those fresh eggs. Try holding them for at least 1 week before you boil them,we found out that 2 weeks is even better.Lots easyer to peel them.

With eggs that are just a day or two old, the membrane beneath the shell sticks tightly to the shell making peeling the egg next to impossible. After a few days in the refrigerator the egg becomes easier to peel. With fresh eggs the albumen sticks to the inner shell membrane more strongly than it sticks to itself because of the more acidic environment of the egg. The white of a freshly laid egg has a pH between 7.6 and 7.9 and an opalescent (cloudy) appearance due to the presence of carbon dioxide. After the protective coat is washed off the egg shell the egg becomes porous and begins to absorb air and loose some carbon dioxide contained in the albumen. This reduces the acidity of the egg which causes (after several days in the refrigerator) the pH to increase to around 9.2. At higher pH the inner membrane does not stick as much to the albumen so the shell peels off easier. In addition, as the egg gets older it will shrink and the air space between the egg shell and the membrane will get larger.
In older eggs the yolk tends to move further from being centered. This happens because the white gets thinner and is less able to hold the yolk in place. The best compromise is to use eggs that have been stored on their sides in the refrigerator for 7 to 10 days.

Chris

This just lets you know those eggs we were buying from the stores are OLD! yuck. I try to but a dozen aside in the fridge and wait a week or two before boiling them. I have also discovered that my two EEs' eggs peel way easier than my rirs' eggs.

If you can plan ahead, let your eggs sit out on the counter for a day or two. Then bring a pot of water to boil, slowly add the eggs one at a time (I use a ladle to do this). Let the eggs cook at a low boil for twelve minutes, then immediately submerge them in cold, not cool, water.
After many many disasters of trying to peel hard boiled eggs and ending up with little of the egg left and most of it stuck to the shell, I started using this method and have gotten perfect peeled eggs every time.

Back
Top Bottom