Bonding and taming chicks

cwyrick1022

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2017
Oklahoma
I just got my chicks a few days ago. I love them so much and they are more like our kids rather than pets, my husband wakes up in the middle of the night to go check on them. It feels like raising our kids all over again. Worrying about if they're happy or if they're comfy or sick... after the first few days we feel more confident and we love watching them play and sleep.
-but.... when we reach in to handle them they scatter and chirp. It makes me feel bad.

So here's my question......
How do you tame and bond with your chicks so they aren't so afraid when they are handled?

Thank you for any advice,
NEW MOTHER OF FOUR SILKIE CHICKS.

they think hand is hawk goin to eat them
smile.png

this might help https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-tame-chickens-from-the-start

What is the update on your chicks? Are you able to handle them now? My chicks were born 8/9. I have had them since day #2. They are handled a lot. They are currently sleeping on my shoulders. Have you been able to bond with them now? They are definitely pets for us...members of our family. I adore them!

-but.... when we reach in to handle them they scatter and chirp. It makes me feel bad.

So here's my question......
How do you tame and bond with your chicks so they aren't so afraid when they are handled?

My first group of chicks did the same thing because I was doing it wrong from the chicks standpoint, I was reaching in from above and chicks are hardwired to run from anything moving above them think hawks etc. Took me 4 1/2 months to get a little of their trust. New batch was climbing all over me when they were 4 days old (I got them at 2 days old).

First be on their level, not above them. Second let them come to you with a reason like some ground up chick starter with crumbled hard boiled egg yoke mixed in (just a little) in your hand. I have a small mortise and pestle to put a little more grind on the chick starter. No sudden movements and try not to cough lol. Pretty soon they will be climbing all over your hands and arms.

Note light red font is almost impossible for many to see...

JT

Back
Top Bottom