bonding with 12 chicks!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by love4mychick, Apr 18, 2009.

1. love4mychick

love4mychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    ok i bought 12 2week old baby chicks [​IMG] and i love them to death...
    but they dont love me back

this is my first time owning baby chicks and i dont know if this is normal for them to run from me when i try to move them or get close to them

the 12 chicks are white long horns

please answer me back thank you

2. GlitterBug

GlitterBug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Oh they will fall in love with you when they are a little older & you bring them treats! (cherrios, spaghetti noodles, etc.!)

Have fun watching them grow! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Maybe because they're 2 wks old and they didn't get handled a lot in the first two weeks makes them a little scared of your hands.

Get them some parakeet grit and meal worms at Petsmart if you have one. They will LOVE you then. Put the grit in a little bowl in their brooder for free choice and then hand feed the worms or any other treats so they know that the treats are coming from you. Scrambed eggs in little worm-like pieces will work as well.

Just spend time sitting at the brooder talking to them and soon they should be coming to you.

I do have one EE that never comes to me, even when I have treats but my other nine do.

Good luck with yours.

4. love4mychick

Apr 18, 2009
    do i half to worry about how much spaghetti can i give all 12 or do i just put in a hand full and let them go crazy over it:)[​IMG]

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    I haven't given mine spaghetti because it doesn't have much nutrition.

But if you do, I would give just a little from your hand so they know you are the queen of treats rather than just drop it in their brooder.

Don't forget the grit so they can digest it.

6. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Does the brooder have see through sides? It's kind of scare to a prey animal when something appears and hovers over it. Familiarity will make them like you. Sit in the same room with them reading. Talk to them so they get to know your voice. Spending time with them without trying to get them will make them comfortable with you.

7. love4mychick

Apr 18, 2009
    do you half to cook the spahgetti??

8. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Yes - cooked spaghetti.

9. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

And remember- salt is toxic to chickens! [​IMG]

10. love4mychick

Apr 18, 2009
    omg ty i did not know that thank you all for your help and please are there anymore chicken treats you guys know about such as wroms? like wat kind of worms [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by