1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bonding with your babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickadeeLover, Apr 8, 2008.

1. ChickadeeLover

ChickadeeLover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2008
    I have 27 baby chicks that are a week old, How do I get them to bond with me?

2. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Sit next to them, bring food/treats! [​IMG] Move slowly, don't come at them from above.

What breeds are they? Some are pretty flighty compared to others.

3. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    spend time with them - hold them as often as you can - offer them treats from your hand.
    I have a brooder full of 19 babies ranging from 2 weeks to 1 week - and I have been doing everything to get them used to me - treats is a fast way to win a baby chicks love LOL

Julie

4. ChickadeeLover

Apr 7, 2008
    I got 3 Silver Sea Brights, 12 americana’s, 3 Blue Cochins, 3 Golden Laced Cochins, 2 Mille Fleurs and 3 White Silkies, I was sitting in their pen and putting food on my lap so now when
    I sit down the all run to sit on me One of them has a scissored beak [​IMG] I am very worried about her. Do you know if there is anything I can do? (also what do you give chicks for treats?)

5. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    well right now my are loving the new leaves from the trees outside - the bright green ones they go nuts for them - I have also given them a little bit of oatmeal - all my chickens love it young and adult !!

I also gave them a little apple finely cut up and they went nuts over it.

6. ChickadeeLover

Apr 7, 2008
    Thanks!

7. TMNTCkins

TMNTCkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank You for the oatmeal idea. They went crazy over it and will do anything to get it. [​IMG]

8. ChickadeeLover

Apr 7, 2008
    My chicks liked the oatmeal but the apple........ no way they picked at it than ran away [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by