Bone Broth during Molt

Bone broth won't hurt anything and I think they would enjoy it, but a more concentrated protein source would be more help. Canned sardines or tuna or even wet cat food are options, as is switching to a high protein feed.

I do like the idea of the calf manna!
I tried to buy a 10 lb bag at TSC yesterday. THey no longer have it in 10 lbs, only 50. And they were out. I'm not going to buy 50 lbs of something I use just a few weeks a year.

So I'll get some sardines or something. Just have to make sure they aren't laced with salt.

Using beef bone broth as a calcium source for your chickens during molting is a creative idea! Chickens love the extra nutrients. You can enhance the broth by adding some crushed eggshells for an extra calcium boost. It's a great way to support them through their molt.

Using beef bone broth as a calcium source for your chickens during molting is a creative idea! Chickens love the extra nutrients. You can enhance the broth by adding some crushed eggshells for an extra calcium boost. It's a great way to support them through their molt.
It's a good idea but they don't need extra calcium during molt, but extra protein.
Stock can only hold so much nutrition, there are better, easier ways to support them for molting.:)

When I start seeing soft shell eggs I mix up some wet feed pellets with a bunch of hand crushed eggshells. I've also used an old coffee grinder to pulverize oyster shells and added those to the wetted feed.

But I'm curious. I thought hens stopped laying eggs during the molt.

Back
Top Bottom