bone meal, meat meal, fish meal

In older days, the feedmills in Germany added fishmeal ( for protein) to the food. And you could tell, becauswe the eggs taste like fish. After lots of complains, they switched to soja
wink.png
hmm.png
Does that mean that you battered your morning German Ei with cornmeal before you popped them into a hot skillet?
wink.png

Last edited:
I was feeding my dogs a raw beef diet due to allergies. I got some raw ground meat that contained a high percentage of organ meats from a USDA inspected meat processor. My dogs don't like the taste so I have a bunch left. Can I feed it to my chickens raw?

I was feeding my dogs a raw beef diet due to allergies. I got some raw ground meat that contained a high percentage of organ meats from a USDA inspected meat processor. My dogs don't like the taste so I have a bunch left. Can I feed it to my chickens raw?
That is strange because K9s usually consume the intestines of a kill before eating anything else. However if the beef is still fresh and not contaminated with botulism toxin I don't see why not.

is bone/fish/meat meal good for chickens, and what should i use, and how should i make it?

Fish/meal meal, in small quantities, is very good for chickens. Probably bone meal, too, in even smaller amounts.

I don't think making your own meal would be easy to do for the average home DIY'er. Bones would need drying/baking and fine grinding...you'd need quite the grinder to grind up some beef bones! I imagine meat could be cooked or simply dried raw, but to keep bacteria from growing, most people would use salt. But that much salt wouldn't be good for the chickens. Animal proteins take special knowledge and skill to preserve properly, especially if you're not using lots of salt as a preservative. Ethoxyquin is a preservative often used in commercial fish meals, but I've heard it is pretty toxic stuff.

I have made jerky and simply dried cans of chicken meat in a food dehydrator for homemade backpacking meals...but there's the salt thing again.

I buy fishmeal that has been preserved with a rosemary extract. Even if I made my own and could get my hands on the rosemary extract, I have no idea how much to use or how to use it.

Did you ever find a way to make your own bone/fish/meat meal?

My dogs had been eating a ground beef from a different processor that had a lot more fat content. I know anytime I've tried to feed them liver they would not eat it unless it was frozen. The ground organ meat I have has been in the freezer for a couple months. It was fresh when I bagged it and froze it. I'm interested now to see it the chickens will eat it. I'm a big fan of feeding animals food that they would eat in the wild, it just never occurred to me to feed the chickens raw beef.

Back
Top Bottom