boobies on my hen

gardengirl01

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 5, 2013
Sounds strange but she really looks like she needs to strap that chest in I have no idea what is causing this. I received several 1 yr old hens, all laying well, they were somewhat wild and kept in unsanitary conditions. This "condition" seems to be getting worse. I've noticed a couple more hens may be starting to develop this also. The chickens were quarantined from my other layers for about a month. Other than being skittish, they have settled in, however, my other hens will fight with them. They don't readily mix. It's been about 2 months since they were rescued. They are now free ranging, very clique-ish and do little mingling with my other flock.any thoughts?

Sounds strange but she really looks like she needs to strap that chest in I have no idea what is causing this. I received several 1 yr old hens, all laying well, they were somewhat wild and kept in unsanitary conditions. This "condition" seems to be getting worse. I've noticed a couple more hens may be starting to develop this also. The chickens were quarantined from my other layers for about a month. Other than being skittish, they have settled in, however, my other hens will fight with them. They don't readily mix. It's been about 2 months since they were rescued. They are now free ranging, very clique-ish and do little mingling with my other flock.any thoughts?
Probably a pendelous crop; a crop bra might be needed. Here's a link:
http://www.hensaver.com/Crop-Bra.html

What causes this? Obviously if they sell this, it doesn't affect the eggs or health of the chicken. I'm looking to move these chickens out to a new farm. What about eatability? If I butcher her or more likely the new owner, meats good? I wonder the cause.

So I tried the remedy that was mentioned. 2 tablespoons olive oil, massage 5 minutes, then hold upside down. NOTHING happened. I'm out of ideas, except to butcher the chickens. One is slowly starving to death and there are 3 or 4 more that its just starting to affect. So its most likely genetic. If there are other ideas, I'd sure like to know. They are great layers, but they will make good soup.
Thanks for any input.

So I tried the remedy that was mentioned. 2 tablespoons olive oil, massage 5 minutes, then hold upside down. NOTHING happened. I'm out of ideas, except to butcher the chickens. One is slowly starving to death and there are 3 or 4 more that its just starting to affect. So its most likely genetic. If there are other ideas, I'd sure like to know. They are great layers, but they will make good soup.
Thanks for any input.

I'd like to know also. One of my Australorps is beginning to develop some hooters too.

It's possible that the chicken bra which supports the crop will keep it in the right position so that food digests properly. However, I'm not planning on investing in 1, let alone 5. I'll just butcher and make stock, rather than let them starve.

Back
Top Bottom